Chapter 4 - "Misunderstood"

Micah Brown

That same night, after dinner I made my way inside the kitchen to start washing dishes. I grabbed the yellow rag that sat on top of the stove, and turn the warm water on. I heard laughter come from the kitchen, and rolled my eyes. I hated how friendly my mom was to new people on the block. Since she been here for seventeen years, since I was born to be exact, she knew everybody on the block.

I put some dish detergent , and let the bubbles form as I grabbed the first plate.

"Kelly, it's some pie on top of the stove. You can have some if you would like." I look at the freshly done pie on the stove , and heard footsteps. I quietly washed the dishes as he came inside.

"Where the plates at?" I sighed, and grab the small plate I just washed roughly sitting it down the the table.

He chuckle. "Knife?" I rolled my eyes , and pointed to the knives holder behind him. He nodded slowly cutting him a piece of pie , sitting it on the clear plate.

He look up at me , and began to eat his pie. "I think that's pretty decent that you was into basketball." I washed the last plate wondering why he was trying to start a conversation with me.

"Yeah was." He shrug while nodding his head.

"Well what position did you play?" He asked as I put the last dish in the rack.

"Don't worry about it." I spat like he was interested anyways, and he slightly frown.

"Yo what fuck is up with you shorty?" I frown and turn his way.

"You must forgot what happen the other day during class? How I'm a lame ass virgin. Or too skinny for anybody liking." He slightly chuckled and he scoff.

"Oh you still salty about that? It was a joke....you obviously too it personal." Kelly said shrugging.

"I took it too personal? Everyday a girl commits suicide because she get made fun of her body image. Second off talking about MY virgintiy to the entire class is foul as fuck. So yeah I'm still salty about it, your just an asshole and that real." I sighed deeply trying to control my anger, I may be overreacting. But I had insecurities back in middle school. Being the laughing stock of an entire class room just brought back old memories and old feelings.

Kelly sighed sitting his half eaten plate down. "alright look, since your so mad. I'm sorry, and I rarely apologise to people." I rolled my eyes. "My dad always say it's better to forgive but never forget." He said, I shook my head. He may have said sorry, but it still made me view him differently.

"But hey, I'll catch you later...." He walked out the kitchen leaving me alone.

Kelly Oubre Jr.