Chapter 3. Kenzie's Birthday

Annie's POV

"Happy birthday, Kenzie!" I exclaimed one afternoon when she opened the front door.

Kenzie grinned and hugged me. "Thank you, Annie! I'm so glad you're here! Come in!" Kenzie had invited me to hang out before her party started, so I decided to go over to her house.

Kenzie took me to her room and when she opened the door, I saw Hayden sitting on the edge of her bed.

Hayden looked up from his phone and smiled. "Hey Annie."

Even though I should've been happy to see Hayden, I wasn't, because I knew he and Kenzie were alone; time to third wheel again.

"Hi." I muttered as Kenzie sat next to him.

"What are you watching?" Kenzie asked.

Hayden shrugged. "Just some funny vines. Wanna see?"

"Yeah!" Kenzie said as they both started watching a video.

I stayed in the background feeling left out already as Kenzie rested her head on his shoulder. One of Hayden's arms were wrapped around Kenzie's waist before he leaned over and kissed her cheek.

I left the room, feeling awkward and jealous. I walked around the house a little to calm down when I bumped into Maddie.

"Oh, hi Annie, I didn't know you were here." Maddie smiled as a tall brunette came behind her. "This is Jack, my boyfriend."

I smiled and waved. "Hey Maddie. Nice to meet you Jack." I said as I shook his hand.

"You too. I've heard Kenzie and Maddie mention you before." Jack said with a smile.

"We're setting up for the party. If you're not busy, would you mind helping?" Maddie asked.

"Not at all, I'd love to help." I replied.

Maddie grinned. "Perfect! There's a couple boxes of decorations behind me, could you grab those?"

I nodded and grabbed the boxes before following Maddie and Jack to the dining room.

"Annie has the table decorations, so she'll do those," Maddie began to explain everyone's jobs.

I set up the table as Maddie stood on a ladder and was hanging up a banner while Jack blasted music. Jack started to dance and karaoke in the middle of the room, which had Maddie and I cracking up.

Once I had finished setting the table, Maddie handed me an ice cream sandwich.

"Let's all go sit outside and relax for a bit." Maddie suggested as she handed me my ice cream.

"Okay." Jack and I agreed as we went into the backyard. Maddie and Jack set next to each other on a loveseat while I sat across from them in a chair.

"So, Annie, we've never really had a chance to chat; maybe you could introduce yourself to Jack and I could get to know you better?" Maddie suggested as Jack wrapped an arm around her.

I nodded. "Okay. Well, I'm fourteen, my family and I have a YouTube channel, I'm a gymnast, and I like to sing and dance."

"Really?" Maddie and Jack asked.

I nodded again.

"Maybe you could sing for us?" Maddie asked. "Please?"

"Okay." I cleared my throat and began to sing a little bit of Little Do You Know.

When I had finished, Maddie and Jack were clapping, which had me blushing.

"That was awesome!" Maddie complimented.