Twelve

Joan

Time Unknown

I don't know how long it's been, but I'm so tempted to go back in and look for Ariana. As soon as I reach for the door handle, it opens and Edward walks out with Ariana on his hip and Justin and Frankie behind him.

"Oh, thank God." I sigh, taking Ariana from Edward.

"Don't ever do that again." I tell her.

"I don't think I'll have to. Considering we shouldn't get kidnapped again."

"That's not the point. I didn't know where you were and I didn't like that." 

"I'm sorry, mama. I wanted to find them because they're not as smart as I am and they didn't know where they were going."

"That's true." I agree with her.

"Okay, enough chit chat. We need to get out of here." Edward says.

I nod and we walk to the front of the building. It's still dark and all we can see is trees surrounding us and a rocky road.

"There's the truck they brought us in." Justin says.

"If only we had the key." I say.

"Maybe it's in there." Jaxon runs to the truck and tries to open the door but it's locked.

"We'll just have to walk. Maybe someone will be driving on the road."

I put Ariana on the ground and she immediately goes to grab Justin's hand.

Pattie

1:43 am

"Pat, calm down. I'm sure they're fine." Jeremy tries to massage my shoulders, but I continue pacing.

"My family is missing, my best friend and my godchildren are missing. I'm not gonna calm down!"

"Patricia, listen to me. They have almost every available officer looking for them. When they find them, I promise you that they'll be safe."

"You can't make that promise. One, or more, of them could be dead."

"Do not say that. None of them are dead."

The police officer who was here at Joan's house with us walks up to the porch.

"We got a lead. I think this is the one. You can come with me."

"Thank God."

I'm the first one to the car and I sit in the front because I know I wouldn't be able to stand sitting in the back.

The officer turns on the sirens and speeds out of the neighborhood. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat until he turns into the woodsy area of town.

"Do you really think they're here?" I ask.

"We're pretty sure."

Ariana

Time Unknown

"This is so tiring." I say.

"We're all aware, Ariana." Frankie replies.

I roll my eyes and continue walking with Justin.

"I'm so hungry. I'm gonna starve to death." Jaxon mumbles.

"I am too, Jax."

I pat his shoulder and as soon as I look up, my mom screams.

"Joan, what?" Daddy asks.

"Mom, what's wrong?" Frankie says.

"Lights, I see lights. There's somebody coming." She starts running and I look up at Justin.

He says nothing. Everyone stays where they are except for mom who keeps running.

"Oh, thank God. It's the police!" Mom yells.

We wait for the three cars to get closer and when the last one stops, Pattie and Jeremy get out.

"Mommy, daddy!"

Jaxon and Jazmyn run to their parents and Frankie comes to steal me from Justin before he goes to his parents.

Police officers surround us and I don't even remember what happens for the next hours.