18

you - the 1975

harry's point of view

elise reluctantly - but adorably - let me drive the boat, playfully scowling at me. her joking angriness was very cute, and i admit, i'm a bit flustered. she sits next to me in the passenger seat, as i start the boat and start to drive it across the lake.

"we're probably going to wake a lot of people!" elise shouted over the noise, and i shook my head.

"people take their boats out at three a.m., it's only 12. we're good." i reassure, and she nodded, looking out at the water. she smiled lightly, her skin glowing in the moonlight. she admired the large amount of stars above us, and started to go on about astronomy, and how big the universe was. about the planets, the stars, how we're only seeing a sliver of the sky right now, and how astronomy puts her at peace. it baffled her yet calmed her, i quote.

"it makes our problems seem so insignificant; so small. on how we get upset over the little things, and let the big things slide by. it makes you think, you know? maybe we should be more grateful, not worry so much." she rambled, and i laughed, she reminded me of myself. i tended to ramble a whole hell of a lot, i could go on for ages completely avoiding what i was meant to answer or talk about. i digressed a lot, things sidetracked me way too easily, i tended to annoy some people because i talk so much. but it wasn't like i would only talk about myself, my brain just kept on wandering and my mouth just kept on moving. elise on the other hand, has never shown this side of her to me, and i think she hasn't to anyone else. i'm glad she was being herself. although she was completely babbling, she was extremely intelligent and insightful.

she really was amazing.

after stupid conversations and jokes, i arrived at the small island in the middle of the lake. houses weren't even visible, but i knew where i was going. i step into the shallow waters, and tied the boat to a sturdy tree by the shore. i help elise by making sure she doesn't step in the water, how very cliche, it's like those scenes in the movies, where the man helps the lady step over a puddle after it rained. she takes her hand in mine, small compared to me, but she had relatively large hands for a girl. long fingers, unpainted nails that seemed short, and well, bitten. i liked that, i don't know why, but it was just her being herself. why was i fretting over her hands so much? jesus christ, harry, you're bloody obsessed. creep.

we were now on a small landscape, the sounds of waves crashing against the side of the islands drowning in the background of our chatter. every time we talked, i learned more about her, and i loved it. i absolutely adored talking to her, and i absolutely adored it when she talked to me. i grab her hand and led her to a little hidden part of the island, we had to climb a bit, but it was worth it. elise and i did have some climbing skills after all. after scaling the rocks, - both of us having no trouble - we sat down on the grass. the stars shone in the sky, twinkling perfectly. the moon, which was full, hung in the distance. the lake shone mysteriously, glimmering wonderfully. elise took my hand in hers, and shut her eyes peacefully. everything seemed so perfect and in place. things were playing out perfectly, everything here seemed so right, like it was just how it was supposed to be. i don't know if everything in this vast universe is random, but i can guarantee you, this was not. this entire moment was just meant to be, or maybe it just felt like it. maybe everything feels meant to be when you're absolutely head over heels. everything is lighter, funnier, happier, prettier, everything is just better. but everything would be absolutely perfect if they were head over heels for you too.

"this is breathtaking. i wish i brought my camera." she jittered, her eyes then glimmered with wonder, admiring the beauty.

even though the scenery was astonishing, and this may sound very cliche, she was more beautiful. her light brown hair swooshing past her face like some supermodel on the front of a magazine, her eyes darkening in the moon light, longingly admiring the world around her, her long legs shone out in front of her, her plump lips agape, and her hand in mine. she took my breath away. without thinking, i grazed my thumb over her hand, and she smiled peacefully.