Chapter 1

"I'm scared," I said to my mother. Her glasses fell down slightly. She quickly pushed them back up.

"You are just scared of what you do not understand," she said. I sighed in annoyance. My father was a Dauntless transfer but my mother was Erudite-born. I wasn't supposed to share my results but mine were Dauntless and Erudite. It made sense, honestly.

"I won't pressure you but there is nothing wrong with Erudite." I nodded silently as I tucked in my blue shirt. Most girls were more stylish but I just didn't care.

My dad walked in then, his outfit strangely close to mine. He kissed me on the forehead before going to the mirror and fixing his tie.

"Honey, whatever you choose, we will still love you." I didn't doubt my dad's undying love; I doubted my mom's. If I chose anything but Erudite, she would shun me. She would have to anyway, though.

"I'm going to be late," I said, going out the door and down the street. My parents followed quickly behind me and soon we came to the large building. I saw some people from Erudite and the other four factions. The most intriguing ones were Dauntless, of course. They always made an entrance.

I took a seat in my faction and listened to the Erudite leader, Jeanine Matthews. When her speech was over, she called individuals' names slowly and they chose their new-or old-faction.

Then it was my turn.

"Gabriela Bartlett." I walked up slowly to the five choosing bowls. I studied each carefully then focused my attention on two: water for Erudite and lit coals for Dauntless. I looked back at my parents who I felt that I couldn't be separated from. Then I saw my father mouth the word Dauntless.

I sighed before cutting my palm over the lit coals. A cheer erupted from Dauntless. I walked over to them, being welcomed by them. Well, everyone but a very scary looking dude that I guess was the leader.

"Welcome, Nose," he said sardonically. I frowned at him. I was sure that I wasn't going to like this guy.

When the ceremony was over, people climbed up columns and beside a railroad. I followed with some difficulty but eventually made it. Another transfer joined me, looking at an oncoming train.

"Do they expect us to jump," the girl asked. They did. I was sure.

"Yep." She gave me disbelieving look.

"If one of us makes it, we help the other one up. Deal?" she said, putting out her hand. I nodded, taking it. The train grew closer and one by one the Dauntless jumped on. When it came to our turn, I was the first to jump on. I held my hand out to the red hair girl. She grabbed on, breathing heavily when safely on board.

"I'm Gabriela," I said, smiling.

"Henrietta but people call me Hemy." We shook hands again before growing quiet. I know what we were both thinking, though. Our futures in Dauntless.

"Okay, get ready to jump off!" a guy in front of us said. It was my turn to look in disbelief. They were going to make us jump onto a roof. This is where I draw the line.

"Arghhhhh!" I yelled as Hemy pulled me out onto the roof. I barely had a chance to register before landing and skinning my elbows.

"Wasn't that fun?" I eyed her coolly.

"That was so not fun." I pointed at my now bleeding funny bones. She chuckled.

"That looks bad."

"Candor much?" I said, talking about her black and white clothes. She just shrugged innocently.

The scary dude walked to the front of the successful jumpers, eying us with a sinister glare.

"I'm Eric, your dauntless leader. Now," he said, walking to the edge of the roof, looking over a hole to a bottomless pit.

"Who wants to jump first?" He looked around, his eyes resting on me. "Good for volunteering." I looked behind me and found that everyone had backed up. Great.

I stood upon the ledge, looking down at the cause of my death. I took a deep breath before plummeting down. I was met by a net and applause.

"Our first jumper," another scary-looking dude said. Is everyone here scary as hell?

Another person fell from the whole and the welcomers turned their attention on him. I walked to a back corner, trying to keep out of sight.

Finally, Eric made it down and the other guy said his name was Four.

"Like the number?" an ebony-colored girl questioned with a sneer. "What, were 1,2 and 3 taken?" In a flash, he got in her face.

"Candor, you need to learn to shut your mouth."

"Fat chance," Hemy muttered from beside me. I stifled a laugh. Hemy knew Candor best.

Eric spoke up then. "You all will change before coming to dinner." With that, Four showed us our room.

***I've been wanting to write one but never got around to it. Yeah, it's short but I thought that I would get it out there since there isn't many Eric / OC stories.***