Chapter One

Gordo and Lizzie no longer hangout at the Digital Bean as much as they did before.

In middle school, they'd go there almost four times a week to do homework, chat and more importantly, use the computers speedy DSL. The Digital Bean had the perfect atmosphere for kids getting out of school, which made it the hottest spot for tweens. Lizzie and Gordo participated in that; they had spent endless hours there after school, and on the weekends; if they weren't at each other's houses, they'd be at the café. But Lizzie and Gordo weren't alone though. Someone else joined them. Someone else came along to every study group, every chat session and every minute of random web surfing; a dear friend to both Lizzie and Gordo. Sadly, they no longer visit the Digital Bean because of that friend.

On one hot summer weekend, Lizzie and Gordo were looking for a place to go out on a date and out of nowhere, Gordo suggested the Digital Bean. It came as a shock to Lizzie. It'd been four years since they had gone to that café. They never went into that part of town anymore so both were unsure if it still had business.

"Are you sure you want to go there?" Lizzie asked, when the two were sitting on a bench in Hillridge park.

"You don't?" Gordo questioned.

"Of course I do but-"

"Then let's go." Gordo stood up and offered his hand to his girlfriend. Lizzie took it and pulled herself up.

Walking into the Digital Bean was like stepping into a photo album full of old photographs. The memories flooded Gordo and Lizzie. The place hadn't changed at all. Gordo ordered a typical chocolate milkshake, while Lizzie had a friend's favorite: a mango and pineapple smoothie. They chose a small table in the back of the Digital Bean, sitting across from each other.

Gordo and Lizzie didn't speak for awhile and the sounds of the machines whirling, along with the slurping of their drinks weren't enough to over power the painful silence between them. Gordo twirled the straw swimming in his shake. Them not speaking grew annoying and boring. He needed to say something.

"It's nice being back here," Gordo mentioned, looking up at Lizzie. She nodded as she brought the glass cup to her mouth and took a sip of the smoothie.

"We should come here more often," Gordo added. "Like old times."

Lizzie only nodded as she stared down at the table. Gordo sighed at his girlfriend's lack of conversing. He continued to twirl the straw in his half consumed shake, staring into the cup. A wave of emotions must have flooded Lizzie as a result of coming back to the spot and that's why no words came out of her.

"How do you feel about of all this?" Gordo asked. "About being back at this place? About her?"

Lizzie drew out a heavy sigh. He didn't expect her to answer right away or even answer at all. Gordo just hoped, if they talked about their feelings, an answer might surface. An answer that could fix what they were doing; swimming in sheer bitter-sweet memories.

"She was like a sister to me. She still is," Lizzie began. She took another sip of her smoothie, then continued. Gordo sat up straighter and leaned into the table to show he cared.

"In middle school, she said she wasn't going anywhere..."

Gordo slumped back into the chair when he realized Lizzie's point. She didn't need to say anymore, because Gordo knew they were on the same page. Their best friend, Miranda Sánchez left four years ago. She did not stay. She did go somewhere. Miranda didn't keep her promise. Since then, Gordo and Lizzie had no contact from her. No phone calls or letters. Not even an email.

Gordo knew Lizzie and Miranda were so close, but he was one of Miranda's good friends too and he had many questions for himself. Was it his fault that Miranda left? Was it Lizzie's? Maybe it had nothing to do with them at all? Maybe it was all Miranda. Maybe she moved on. It made him insane not having answers, surely with Lizzie too.