Chapter Nine

When Gordo got back to his apartment, Lizzie was gone. She took the DVDs and snacks home with her. He didn't expect her to stay, but a part of him wanted her to so he could have someone to distract him from crying. Gordo thought of another distraction when he saw his fixed video camera on the coffee table. He picked it up, pointed the lens at his face and started recording. He wouldn't press stop, no matter what come out of his mouth.

Gordo talking to his video camera:

📹 Hey, what's up. It's Gordo here and I'm going to tell you my life story. I was born in California and raised by two great parents, Roberta and Howard... Oh who am I kidding? Who wants to hear that?

This is David Gordon and I'm going to tell you about my friendship with Miranda Sanchez and Lizzie McGuire.

Here we go.

I've known Lizzie since we were babies. We grew up together, our parents were friends, and we always went to the same school. Lizzie and I have always got on well. In our early days of knowing each other, I remember we were like brother and sister. She had even told me once that I was her true brother instead of Matt, her blood brother. But quickly, the brother and sister phase went away. We saw each other more as a boy and a girl who were best friends.

In first grade, we met Miranda Sanchez, a very witty six year old who'd just moved to Hillridge. The three of us had the same teacher, Mrs. Rosanna, room 205. Now I don't remember much about my first encounter with Miranda, as I was just six years old, but Daniella Sanchez told me, on that day Miranda begged her parents to let me come home with them. Apparently she had so much fun ruining my drawing that day, she couldn't wait to do it again.

Whenever I hear that story, I can picture the three of us, sitting at a small round table, coloring. Lizzie tries so hard to stay in the lines, I follow Mrs. Rossana's rules and Miranda, she's not even coloring. When I turn around to listen to the teacher, she takes a black marker and scribbles over my picture I worked so hard on. After I notice and get frustrated, Lizzie tells Miranda she shouldn't have done that but Miranda fights back and says, "You're not the boss of me!" Or something on the lines of that. Something very Miranda. Then suddenly were laughing and teasing each other and the trio begins.

In fifth grade I started to notice what having two girl best friends was really like. The crushes, the craving for popularity, the girl talk. But in middle school, oh boy, that stuff skyrocketed. Everyone told me I was such a trooper for sticking by them and maybe I am, but that's not how I like to put it. I stuck by them not only because they were all I had, but also because they were them. We were us. We all needed each other. I needed them. Lizzie and Miranda are not friends you find one day out of nowhere, they're given to you for a reason.

Now that you have the back story, let me delve into my friendship with Miranda. I only say Miranda because Lizzie and I, we have a different relationship; we have a romantic one. But she's still a very important part of my story, so don't think I've forgotten about her. I just want to share my friendship with Miranda, since no one seems to think I have one. They know we're friends with Lizzie, but don't believe we can have our own friendship. I'll admit, at one point I thought that too, but when l look back, I can see it was all possible.

Here's my side of the story.

The time when my friendship with Miranda was most prominent, was in middle school. We found ourselves spending time ranting about Lizzie to each other. I thought, "Hey? Miranda's great. I can hangout with her without Lizzie around. This is cool." But little did I know I'd ruin that the next year.