Chapter Four

Miranda's head whipped around towards Gordo, but she looked only for a second before she ran to the doors, just as a worker set her smoothie on the counter. Gordo went after Miranda, telling the worker he'd pay for the smoothie. Although ecstatic to see his friend again, he still had some resentment towards her. He almost wanted to let her go, but he reminded himself that it had been four years since he and Lizzie saw her; he couldn't let her leave again.

"Miranda!" Gordo shouted, chasing her down the sidewalk. "Miranda Sanchez, it's me Gordo."

She started to speed walk, getting farther away. He did not want to lose track of her so he sprinted. When he caught up to her, he stood behind her and panted.

"Miranda," he said her name again. She stopped in her tracks and he thought she was going to turn around.

"Miranda," he said for a third time. He closed his eyes. "Miranda, I missed you."

He expected her to disappear, but when his eyes opened he looked at Miranda face to face; Gordo's eyes didn't believe what he saw. Miranda Isabelle Sanchez, standing in front of him, in Hillridge, by the Digital Bean.

"You missed me?" Miranda finally spoke.

"Wait, you're actually talking to me?"

Miranda blinked. "You missed me?" she repeated.

Gordo looked at the ground. "Yeah, a lot," he said.

Having not spoken in four years, they had forgotten how to speak to each other and they stood, not moving. Gordo had many things to say to her, many questions to ask, but the words couldn't form in his mouth. He could tell Miranda wanted to say something too because she opened her mouth a few times, but nothing came out. There was wall between Gordo and Miranda; a four year old wall so thick, Gordo couldn't see her. He couldn't see Miranda as the same person she was before. He just saw her as the girl who left.

"I gotta go," Miranda stammered, walking past Gordo.

"Wait, Miranda you're seriously not leaving again are you?"

"I'm sure you're doing just fine without me. You've got Lizzie."

"Did you not hear me? I said I missed you."

Miranda crossed her arms. "How do I know you're not just saying that so you can get me back in your life again?"

"Because you should know me Miranda. I'm telling the truth."

"I have to go, please."

"Hold on." Gordo stopped her again. "Can we talk? You know catch up at the Digital Bean?"

"I can't."

"Well can you at least say hello to Lizzie? She'd go hysterical if she saw you."

"I'd rather catch up at the Digital Bean."

Gordo smiled. "So does that mean you want to?"

"I guess so," she agreed halfway. Gordo swore he saw a tiny smile peeking on her face.

He led the way back inside the Digital Bean, opening the door for Miranda again. On the counter, her smoothie still waited for her that Gordo promised to pay. He gave the waiter the money and brought the drink to where Miranda had already seated herself.

"I like your hair," Gordo complimented as he slid into the booth.

Miranda looked down. "Thanks," she muttered. "But where's your drink?"

"I'm good. I just want to talk."

Miranda spun the glass cup on the table, staring down. "I don't know what to say."