Chapter 3

I woke up with a splitting headache, and a very annoying vibrating coming from my pocket.

When I blink open my eyes, I realize I'm in the same spot i was in when I passed out and thanked the goddess as I fumbled to grab my phone and answer it. "H-hello?" I mumbled into the phone.

"Alex! Do you know what time it is?!" A loud male voice shouted down the line, making me wince.

I look at the phones digital clock and gulp."I-its 10:55 sir, I'm so sorry. I overslept-"

"Don't bother! YOUR FIRED!! I gave you three chances, three! Your strikes are up. Good luck finding another job with your documentation, kid..." The man, my boss hung up. Well, he was more the manager than my boss, but still my supervisor.

I looked at the phone in disbelief before I punched the brick wall behind me and got up."God dammit!!" I seethed through clenched teeth and began angrily making my way to my apartment, now free from going to work for the day. Or rest of my life.

I pushed open my door to my empty and gross apartment, situated on the third floor of a mouse-grey building with hallways stained with graffiti and smoke. I had exactly three outfits and I grabbed them along with what food I had left and went back downstairs, an angry bundle of loose food canisters and articles of clothing.

It was time for a new change of scenery I decided. I couldnt afford rent this month anyways, not with my money draining in to fix my car's heater.

I threw my shit into my car and started driving to the next town, humming tensely to myself.

God dammit. Everything had bean so much simpler when I lived in my wolf form. What now? Look for a new job? Find a shittier apartment? Maybe this time I'll sink so low and help these crackheads and prostitutes out with my services. Who knows? Clearly not me. Look at my stupid fucking ass, chugging down the mother f-

I sighed and was about to turn onto an exit with a Starbuck ' s and McDonald's sign, when flashing red and blue lights caught my attention. What?? Where did he come from? He was definitely aiming for me, with a quick glance at the spedometer confirming that I was driving 20 mph over the speed limit. 

My eye twitched uncontrollably as I pulled over and the cop, an older African woman with thick lips and breasts came over, demanding identification and the lot. I handed her rubbish, and she began to walk back to her cruiser to check on the stuff I had given.

I didn't hesitate. I didn't give it a second chance, and I didn't look back as I took a bee-line for the trees by the highway. Well shit. Look at this, look at this... Alex was up a creek without a paddle. What else was new?

The cop didn't see me escape and soon my wolf was sprinting away from the car and the clothes I had other than the ones I had now.

I couldn't help but growl at my misfortune. I had just f#$@!d myself so bad... all my progress, all of it, gone! Destroyed! Burned to ash and stomped on!!

I cut across a few miles of forrest and followed the sickening scent of the city and soon came to the small town of Tornique.

I skirted the edge of this foreign place, until I could find a map or directions. Oh... the first thing I noticed When I looked to a crumpled paper from some travelor, was that... two towns away, marked in red... was Stonepeak.

Henry? There was that lost pup, marked in red, there he was with that pack that had given me food... it sounded like a safe shot to me. I took the paper with me and followed it for two whole days, finding a few squirrels and rabbits.

Finally, I stood over Stonepeak in my broad wolf form and sighed. Well. It had bean what? Seven  weeks? And here I was. Back to the town that I reentered human society in. I scoffed. I'd managed to fuck up in just seven weeks. Wonderful.