Chapter 5

~2 3/4 years later~

The next day I didn't want to do anything. I didn't want to live anymore, so I let the wolf have everything.

The next day I did the same, until an entire week passed. And then a month. And then two months. And then three months. Until eventually a year passed, and I have to admit, I didn't think we would make it so long.

We hunted lots of game, and came across allot of wolves in our travels. We did many things that made us happy, and I have to admit, it was a decent life.

I had never felt so at peace with the world, being on my own in this unforgiving wilderness. I left the worries of the pack and society behind. Ezzy was still there... but I was far enough away that I wasn't in complete pain.

I managed to claim and keep a small plot of empty land, but I let anyone cross my territory if they wanted; so long as they don't hunt on it. In fact, I now had a new scar across my muzzle from a little gamma wolf that thought i'd be too dumb to notice a missing rabbit or two.

One day, almost three years after I had run away from the Stonepeak pack and returned to the life of a rouge, I saw the form of another wolf on the horizon as I walked over snowy hills.

I sneezed as the wind blew up my nose and watched it disappear. I had lowered my head to sniff and go another direction, when I smelt her scent and recognized it faintly in the back of my mind.

I tried remembering, when the realization and memory came exploding to the front. Holly shit! That was Bruce's mate!

I was unsure on what to do at first, then with a slight nudge from my wolf, we charged towards the other wolf.

I had trouble finding her tracks, but my wolf managed to find the scent and sprint after the she-wolf.

After a few minutes of running, I found her actual tracks and was able to spot her in the distance.

I howled to her, barely able to see her spot from this distance. //I AM HERE. FRIENDLY. ANSWER.\\

I panted a few seconds, wondering if she would get scared and run, or actually answer.

//I AM HERE. COME HERE. FRIENDLY.\\

I ran up to her, taking nearly 15 minutes of running to actually get up to her.

When I saw her up close, I could actually see she was a very beautiful wolf.

I wagged my tail, looking up into her sharp green eyes.

She barked sharply at me.

We both shifted and shivered in the blistering cold as we faced each other.

I offered a weak smile."h-hi." My teeth chattered.

She was a tall woman with messy red hair, and a dark purple birthmark marring her face. The eye on the side of the birthmark was milky and unseeing. "Watcha want? I didn't cross no territory markers." Her bostonian accent gave her a splash of personality.

I shivered hard, barely able to breath with this strong wind. "Uh, I knew your mate."

She stopped moving and she covered her face."Oh god...did he die?" She whispered. She might have thought I was the Gaurd, who sometimes venture after wolves to inform them of a loved one's death and will.

"Oh, no! No! Uh... I haven't seen him in a while, but..."

She clutched her chest and rolled her eyes."Oye! Gave me a heart attack!"

I smiled."Does that mean you liked him?" I asked coyly, trying to joke a bit with her and get her to see me as a friend.

She blinked at me."We are mates... I mean, I knew him for two days... And trust me, he is a very special sort of eye candy... But you can't really NOT like your mate..."