Chapter 9

Anastasia's POV.

The party ended but there were still some stragglers. Jack went to his house to sleep leaving me and Eyeless Jack alone on the platform around my house.

"Look at Sally" Jack laughed pointing down to the young girl giggling while walking unsteadily on her feet with a beer in one hand and her bears leg in her other one, the Bears body hitting off her legs and trees she passed.

"She's only eight isn't she?! she shouldn't be drinking!" I gasped shocked they let her drink.

"We don't follow laws." He laughed. I nodded thinking that over in my head. I should've known they don't follow laws.

"Jack look I think Jane and Clockwork making out" I fangirl. "It this real or am I seeing things?" I ask turning to look at him only to see he's got his phone out taking a picture of them.

"Nope that's real alright and this is going to be real blackmail material too" he laughed sitting with his back against the wall of my house. "So you came here two days ago now. How you feeling about being here?"

"I think it's ok. Dangerous but I kind of like it." I smiled.

"You research us often who's your crush?" He asked chuckling when I choked on air.

"I-I don't like anyone like that!" I say quickly.

"Like hell you don't. Who is it? I won't tell anybody. If that girl liked Jeff you must have had a killer crush too" he pushed.

I blushed. "Promise you won't tell?"

"I won't tell and if I do you can eat my kidneys" I looked at him with an eyebrow raised. "What I still have mine" he chuckled.

"Ok. I.....used to like...T-Toby." I whisper into his ear.

"Used to?"

"Yeah well when somebody laughs when you fall off a ladder, never has a normal conversation with you all he does is threaten and boss you about and throws a hatchet into your side. You start to not like them." I huffed looking and nearly having a heart attack seeing Toby standing at the ladders listening to me.

"Awe and I thought we could be friends now" he laughed climbing up fully and sitting opposite us with his back on the railings. "Ok so I may have been a little bit of an ass to you"

"A little bit?" I mumbled without thinking.

"Hey, I'm talking here." He snapped.

"sorry" I whispered looking down feeling bad for being heard.

"Right. As I was saying. I might have been a bit of an ass to you but." I looked up when he said but. But? Is he going to say sorry? Is he going to tell me why he's an asshole? "But your hatchet skills surprised me. That kind of throw took me a week to learn and you did it the second time you picked up a hatchet. Maybe you aren't as weak as I thought. And like I said, you kill her and I'll get you your own hatchet. So here you go" he said handing me something wrapped in a cloth. "It's new so do you want to go brake it in with me?"

I unwrapped the hatchet and held it in my hand. This is so cool, iv never had my own weapon before. Well iv never killed before yesterday. I smile before looking up at Toby who's been waving his hand in front of my eyes. "Sorry I was thinking."

"Want to go on a kill with me? I guess this guy can come if you want him to" Toby growled a little looking at Jack.

"I'd love to go on a kill with you!" I say excitedly. "Jack are you coming?" I asked turning to him.

"Nah I think I'll let you two go have fun" Jack smiled. What's he thinking?

"Ok let's go we've wasted time already!" Toby growled pulling me to the top of the ladder before he let go and started climbing down. "I won't catch you if you drop I just want a good view of the fall this time." He laughed looking up from the bottom of the ladder. I quickly looked to see the ladder is still attached to the floor. Thank fxck. I swung my leg over the side and stood on the ladders.