Chapter 17

Ezra stood in the middle of the group, surrounded by old, worn engine parts, hydraulic lifting platforms and pneumatic equipment. All were heavily covered in grease and oil. The basement garage was no longer used as a workshop, it was just a cover for it being their hideout. Access to the upper levels of the original showroom was via a large, heavy duty lift car, capable of transporting vehicles of up to five tonne. Only Willard had a security card to operate it. At the rear was a large, metallic security door that led outside to a hidden, canopied area, and out into the slums beyond. Symon had designed an electronic device to wirelessly open the huge, rolling door while mobile, so Willard could use it as a secret entrance. Everyone nodded as Ezra finished delivering his gesticulated plan for the next mission.

"Everyone understand?" asked Ezra.

"Yeah Ez', very loud and clear." grinned Oscar.

"Good, the scum still haven't fixed the last one we blew so let's squeeze a little more." Ezra said, waving a fist in the air.

'Be careful, Logan. It's a trap.'

Her words came to Logan so clearly this time it made him jump – like she'd suddenly appeared next to him. The words were grave, and gave him a bad feeling about the upcoming mission.

"They'll have much more security this time." Logan pointed out, trying to sound less sombre than he felt.

Ezra shrugged his shoulders. "So?"

Oscar sniggered. "Sounds like Malikai is scared."

Oscar had taunted Logan about being an ex-soldier since the first bombing, and still couldn't quite work out his motives for being here. He'd spoken to Rhea about him; asking who he was, why he was here and what he wanted. Rhea explained that she'd known him from their home town of Rastaban - when she came back from her time away. Her mother had known his father – Vincent, whose sweet bakery had been legendary amongst the locals. But despite her limited knowledge of Logan lately, her answers had ultimately left Oscar in the dark, and hadn't convinced him to lower his guard around their newest member just yet. He was too calm, too self-assured in his abilities, too relaxed. He reminded Oscar of himself – and that worried him.

"I'm not scared, Oscar," replied Logan. "Just realistic. We should be prepared for everything."

Oscar lifted the rifle in his hand, and slid the pump-action loader up and down with a rigorous shake, sending a fresh cartridge into the barrel. "I'm already prepared for everything." He mocked Logan with a smug grin, amusing Willard.

"I'll keep an eye out for incoming security from the van." Willard said, Ezra acknowledged with a nod.

"I've checked the blueprint of the building," said Symon, he was slumped in the wheel-hole of a giant truck tyre. "And it's pretty much the same layout as the last one." He tapped at buttons on his lap-computer, updating plans as they spoke.

"Okay, Symon - great," said Ezra with a quick nod, then turning his attention back to the group. "Get an early night, be prepared to move at five in the morning." He held up his right hand, reinforcing his chosen time by wiggling five, fat digits. He launched the hammer he held onto a nearby bench, clanging loudly as it landed, then exited the garage through an open door at the back. Symon followed him into the makeshift dining area, which led through to their sleeping quarters at the back of the basement. A small toilet block was attached at the rear.

"Well, I suppose I better triple check the van." Willard stood up cheerfully, and skipped across to a van with its bonnet up, a selection of tools were scattered on the floor.

"Fancy a game of knives, Rhea?" asked Oscar.

Rhea turned to Logan next to her, before she replied to Oscar. She was met with an emotionless face. "Would you like to join, Logan?" she asked, cautiously.