28. Queen of Bargaining Chips

As I listened to Sheridan discuss Michael's terms with his guards, I tried to see a silver lining in the situation. The obvious part was that Sheridan had the upper hand. Michael was a much younger vampire, and he probably had fewer resources at his disposal. Also, Sheridan knew him well enough that he stood a chance at convincing Michael to back down from whatever he was planning.

Most importantly, Michael wasn't Daphne. That wasn't a fight I was sure Sheridan could win. Even though I detested them both, I needed Sheridan to come out on top for Tristan's sake.

"He wants to meet in a warehouse on Powder Street," Sheridan told his men. "We need to be there within the hour. He didn't ask for a ransom, but I'll need money just in case."

"What did he ask for?" asked one of the lead guards.

Sheridan shook his head. "Nothing. I'll have to find out when I get there."

The guards dispersed, all of them seeming to know what to do. Once they were gone, Sheridan shoved his hands in his pockets and ambled over to where James and I stood waiting. He looked uncharacteristically haggard, like he could use a nap. Or a stiff drink.

"I guess we're in luck," he said. "It wasn't... her, I had to worry about after all."

"Looks like Sabine's not needed anymore," James said.

Sheridan nodded. "You can both leave. Consider it clemency."

"For what?" James scoffed.

"You betrayed me, James. You kept a witch secret right under my nose, and intended to spirit her out of the country, knowing full well she was a wanted fugitive. I could have you killed for that. Both of you."

James cocked his head, not looking the least bit threatened. "Did you or did you not just beg me not to walk out of this house when you thought Sabine was still useful to you?"

"Don't squander my mercy."

James laughed mirthlessly. "You rat bastard."

Sheridan's face remained stony in the wake of James's insult. "Go. My patience is thinning."

James muttered a curse under his breath, then grabbed my hand and readied to leave. I glanced between the two of them. "What about me? I promised to help Tristan."

"Sheridan seems like he's handling it," James said pointedly.

"No!" I shook my hand loose from James's grip and went straight to the king. "Let me come with you."

Sheridan gave me a surprised once-over, then laughed drily. "To do what? I can see now that you're as powerless as you claim. Besides, Michael can't possibly hope to harm me."

"It's not you I'm worried about," I snapped.

A part of me knew I wasn't acting rationally. Sheridan was giving me leave of his cursed kingdom, and any sane person would gladly take it. But I couldn't just leave Tristan's fate up to chance. I needed to see him safe. I needed to... say goodbye. Properly.

Sheridan studied me for a moment with narrowed eyes. Something sparked in his eyes and his lips tightened. "Fine. Come, if it'll put your mind at ease. But after I've secured Tristan's return, I want you gone."

Something in his expression worried me, but I nodded anyway.