HOME

Home

The carriage rumbled slowly down the cobblestone of the castle road towards the courtyard. Ronin sat alone in the carriage wishing the ride was over. I should have taken Freefall. Ronin knew that flying the dragon into the courtyard would cause a huge commotion, but he just wanted to be home, and Freefall could have turned the long carriage ride into couple minutes of flying. Ronin heard the sound of the heavy iron gates opening. They were finally at the courtyard. A few more seconds and the carriage slowed to a stop.

“We’re here my lord.” The driver announced as Ronin opened the door.

The Raptor’s Nest was always an impressive sight, but now that Ronin saw it more rarely it always seemed even more elegant.

“Thank you Harvey,” Ronin called out to the driver tossing him a coin.

“Lord Rider,” Harvey bowed his head and the carriage began to move.

There were a number of guests sitting on the front porch of the inn and Ronin could see the stables were near full. Then he saw a figure moving toward the inn from across the yard. The woman walked slowly carrying a bundle of cloth, her raven black hair shone in the evening light.

Lyce. She turned and saw Ronin standing in the courtyard.

“Ronin!” she called out and hurried over, Ronin walked to meet her.

“Mother,” he hugged her tight.

“When did you get back?” she asked excitedly.

“Only just now.”

“Have you seen your father?”

“Mother, I just stepped off the carriage,” Ronin laughed. “Let me help you,” he took the bundle of cloth from her and they began to walk together.

“We were hoping you’d be back for the festival.” Lyce said taking Ronin’s arm. “You’ve been missed.”

It was less than a month after Ronin was named a rider that he’d received word that his father and Lady Lyce were to be married. Ronin had always felt that there was something between them, but Lyce was noble, and a member of the royal family, and Fenrir was a common innkeeper. All that changed when Ronin was accepted into the riders.

“Ronin!” another woman’s voice called out from the stables. Ronin looked to see a girl standing in the doorway wearing a light blue dress and tall leather boots, a shovel in her hand. She was thin and tall for a girl of seventeen. Her black hair fell down nearly to her waist and her piercing green eyes shone brightly. “Ronin!” she yelled again dropping the shovel she broke into a run. “You’re home!” Ronin quickly handed the bundle back to Lyce.

“Hey tiny,” he said as the girl leapt into his arms.

“Lyta, don’t maul your brother,” their mother laughed.

“We missed you,” Lyta said ignoring Lyce.

“I missed you too,” Ronin set the girl down.

“When did you get home?”

“I just got off the carriage.”

“How long are you home? Just for the festival? I hope you stay for a while.” She still never stops talking, Ronin smiled.

“Stop pestering him Lyta,” Lyce chimed in.

“Fine,” the girl pouted, and the three of them continued towards the inn.

“I think you got taller,” Ronin laughed holding his hand up to Lyta’s head.

“Yeah,” Lyta laughed back. “Soon I’ll be taller than you,” she playfully punched him in the shoulder.