Bones At The Crossroads

⏳ 2016

  ⏳ 2016

The streets below were crowded, filled with a steady stream of people weaving through a dilapidated marketplace and pop up coffee places

The streets below were crowded, filled with a steady stream of people weaving through a dilapidated marketplace and pop up coffee places. Traffic moved carefully down the road, pedestrians hurrying across before motorcycles and vehicles rolled past.

I pulled the curtain further away from the window, my gaze flicking around the area below, looking for anything suspicious. "All right, what do you see?"

"Standard beat cops," Wanda replied through my earpiece. "Small station. Quiet street. It's a good target."

I looked to the station before me, police vehicles parked in a neat line before it, a pair of cops leaning against one of them and another nearby.

"There's an ATM on the south corner," I said, glancing at it for a second before looking back to the cops, "which means?"

"Cameras," Wanda said.

"Both cross streets are one-way."

"So, compromised escape routes."

"Means our guy doesn't care about being seen. He isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out."

I knew for sure there wasn't any doubt about that statement. Chaos and collateral damage were not things that bothered our target. He was certainly willing to mow down any who stood in his way. HYDRA had truly done well in instilling such ideology in the man's skull. And that made him dangerous.

"You see that Range Rover halfway up the block?" I asked, looking towards it.

"The red one?" Wanda wondered. "It's cute."

"It's also bulletproof," a new voice added. "Which means private security. Which means more guns. Which means more headaches for somebody, probably us."

"You guys know I can move things with my mind, right?" Wanda snickered.

"Looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature," Nat concluded.

"Anybody ever tell you you're a little paranoid?" one more voice remarked.

"Not to my face," Nat said. "Why? Did you hear something?"