Chapter 12: Mother and Son

MOTHER AND SON

Charcoal on Paper (30in x 24in) – Not included in the exhibit

by Chelsea Roilo

  This photorealistic drawing depicts a baby sleeping in the right arm of a woman whose left hand was caressing the baby’s cheek. The head of the woman was not part of this artwork, but only her torso and arms. Note: This is not included in the exhibit.

The Judgment Day.

  Mr. Escano gave back our works and called us to his desk one by one to personally tell his assessment – as well as his disappointment. At least, his voice this day was calm compared to the past weeks of our workshops.

  For being absent the previous week because of fever, I had one less submitted activity. But I bet it wouldn’t affect my grades that much because of the good remarks the professor had given to me.

  When it was my turn for my assessment, the only thing that he said to me was “You’re already good. But there are still rooms for improvement.” I was already on my foot, when he said one last message to me: “Wait, Mr. Solaire. I’ll talk to you after class.”

  I didn’t have any slightest idea of why he wanted to talk to me privately. I asked myself, Did I do something wrong? I thought of the charcoal stick which I had forgotten to return. I asked myself again, Is it expensive?

  “See you in our next class,” said Clayton after the class. Apparently, he had an idea of why Mr. Escano had wanted to talk to me, because he seemed aware that I wasn’t allowed to leave yet.

  I felt uneasy to be left alone with our professor in the classroom, though I knew there was nothing I should be afraid of. I hadn’t done something wrong – except of course that I’d forgotten to give back his charcoal stick. But before he mentioned about it, I had to return it to show that I could still remember that he’d lent me that freaking charcoal stick.

  “Sir, I’m really sorry,” I said as I handed over the charcoal stick to him. “I forgot to give you back this.”

  “Oh, is that mine? I almost forgot about that,” he said and returned the charcoal to me. “Keep it. That’s yours now.”

  “Really, Sir? I thought you wanted to reprimand me because of this.”

  “No. It has nothing to with that... I learned from one of your classmates that you’re a working student.”

  The classmate he was pertaining must be Clayton.

  “No longer, Sir. I just resigned from my job last week,” I said.

  “In any case, I bet you still need money,” he said. “Have you heard of The Gallery of Aesthetic Arts?”

  “Of course, Sir. That gallery is famous for its contemporary arts. Actually, I’ve been there once when I was in high school.”

  “You’re right. Actually, that is where I started my career when I was young. The gallery will soon conduct an exhibit named ‘Genesis,’ but it’s only by invitation.”

  The professor pulled out a pamphlet from his satchel. He laid it on the table and pushed it towards me.

  “That’s the invitation,” he continued. “And I’m giving that to you.”

  “But why, Sir?” I asked, confused.

  “For this upcoming exhibit, their goal is to discover and promote young artists. The gallery gave that invitation to me, but that’s not really for me. They asked me to give it to one of my students… and I choose you to receive it.”