Chapter 7: The Supper

THE SUPPER

Enamel on Wood (36in x 12in)

  This painting depicts a family having their supper. It looks like the famous painting “Last Supper” by Leonardo da Vinci that shows the supper of Jesus Christ and his disciples. But in this painting, His counterpart in the middle is the father.

Today was the most special occasion of our high school lives – our Graduation. It was held in the school’s quadrangle. Just a few days ago, the bones of my right leg had come back to its normal form and I’d had the plaster removed.

  When I appeared on stage to take a bow while holding my diploma, many of my ridiculous classmates (including Chloe) gave me a standing ovation because it was the first time they saw me without my crutch after the accident.

  Chloe was assigned to deliver the Class Prophecy.

  “The reason why I came to the mall is because there’s an ongoing exhibit of one of the emerging artists in the country,” she said in the middle of her speech. “The paintings of this artist have been published in many art catalogs. He also appeared in a magazine that features contemporary artists.”

  I hadn’t read my sister’s speech yet, so I wasn’t sure whether it was me or Clayton the artist she was talking about.

  “When I reach the upper floor of the mall,” she went on. “I see him standing alone in the middle of the exhibit area, proudly looking around the people who want to see his artworks. I sneak up on the artist and nudge him. When he turns, he’s very surprised to see me because he thought I couldn’t come. But there’s no way that I would miss his first solo exhibit… I’m very proud of my twin brother Chleo Solaire Jr.”

  No words could explain what I was feeling this very moment. My sister believed that I could be a successful artist. Her prophecy would definitely happen, and I would make her proud of me.

  Leroy was the last of our batch to deliver a speech – his Valedictory Address. He suddenly paused in the middle of his speech. His face went red when he said:

  “And to the girl who let me realize that the most meaningful part of high school life is not to obtain good grades… but to create friendship that will last forever,” he said. “It’s you, Brenda.”

  I had witnessed Leroy’s transformation from an introverted boy to a friendly one. It was all because of Brenda. He really deserves her, I thought.

  The honor students were called on stage one by one and given awards. Among them was Chloe. I was really proud of my twin sister. Looking at her with those medals hung on her neck, I knew she had a great future ahead.

  When the commencement exercise ended, everyone got on their feet and threw our caps off up in the air. My high school was full of good memories. But if there was one thing worth remembering the most besides my memories with Chloe, it would be my memories as a member of the Art Club.

  While everyone was busy taking pictures with their classmates, I sneaked into a building and headed to the office of the Arts Club. When I reached the floor where it was located, I stumbled upon a boy wearing the same graduation coat as mine.

  “Clayton? What are you doing here?” I asked.

  “I’ve just given my farewell to our club,” he said. “I guess you’ll do the same thing. That must be the reason why you’re here. Am I right?”

  “Yeah,” I nodded.

  “I’m going, you might want to do it alone.”

  It was a good decision that he left, because I did want to make my farewell alone.