Chapter 23: The Goddess of the Moon

THE GODDESS OF THE MOON

Colored Pencil on Board (36in x 48in)

  This drawing depicts a girl sitting on a window-ledge with a full moon shown up on the window pane.

One month later.

  Chloe was blindfolded while I was guiding her into a room. When I released the blindfold, she saw my masterpieces hung on the white walls in the exhibition area of The Gallery of Aesthetic Arts.

  It was already night and we were the only people in the area. But when the gallery opened the next day, the first things they would see were my works.

  “Is this your first solo exhibit?” she said, astonished. “Why you didn’t tell me about this?”

  She scrutinized my works one by one, starting from the graphite drawing of two dolls which I had used in the exhibit of the Art Club during high school. The painting of Mom and Dad having an afternoon tea on the balcony. I even included my drawings from my sketch pad that all depicted her. The watercolor painting that pictured two babies in a crib.

  And finally, my latest work – the painting which depicted a couple dancing in the middle of a crowd. It was us during the high school prom. She spent a long time looking at this one.

  “I love all of these, Chleo. They’re all beautiful,” she said. “So what’s your plan? How much you are going to sell your works?”

  “Well, that’s yet to be decided,” I said.

  But the truth was these paintings and drawings were not for sale yet – because this exhibit wasn’t official and Chloe was the only one who would see it. I wasn’t an established artist yet to have my own solo exhibit. I’d only asked Mr. Lavares to allow me to display my works in the gallery even just for one night.

  It was all because of what Dr. Reynon had said to us. Chloe’s body was no longer responding to medication. She had refused to pass through any other surgery. She accepted her fate and only wanted to spend the remaining days with us.

  Sooner or later, Chloe would pass away.

Chloe had one last request to me.

  “Can I be your figure model in your next work?” she asked, as she handed over to me my large sketchpad and charcoal stick.

  I replaced Chloe’s watercolor painting on the drafting board with the sketchpad. I chose a spot where I could look straight at Chloe and the window.

  She positioned herself on the window-ledge, her back against the right vertical side member of the window frame. Her right foot was up on the ledge, while her left leg was outstretched on the ledge too. Her hands were on her belly, and face was slightly angled towards me. She was cunningly beautiful in her white tunic. She was like the blooming white pixie lily in her watercolor painting.

  What made the scene even more interesting was the windowpane that overlooked the full moon in the night sky with the addition of the twinkling stars.

  “Are you sure with this?” I asked. “This might take a long time to finish.”

  “Don’t worry. I feel comfortable with my position. I can handle this,” she said.

  “Feel free to move whenever you want, Chloe.”

  First, I outlined the window frame. Next was the moon since it was moving gradually every minute. Then, Chloe’s outer curves. In just a few minutes, I was finished with the preliminary drawing.