Chapter 22: Seascape II

SEASCAPE II

Watercolor on Canvas (30in x 24in)

  This painting depicts a silhouette of a man and a woman sitting on a ledge and holding hands. Behind them is a seascape during a sunset.

I wanted to bring Chloe to the Seaside Road, so that she could see the sunset, which she couldn’t see from the balcony of the house.

  I suddenly remembered my former girlfriend, because this was the place where Colleen and I used to go before. I wonder where she is now, I thought. Up to now, there was no real closure on our relationship.

  It was almost five in the afternoon when we reached the seaboard through my motorbike.

  “What are we doing here?” she asked, as we walked through the cobblestoned pavement while holding hands.

  “Let’s wait an hour and you will see,” I said as I looked at my watch.

  Almost all of the benches in the area were occupied. Eventually, we found one where we could overlook the sea and the sinking sun.

  “Oh, so we’re going to watch the sunset, aren’t we?” she asked.

  “What do you think?” I said. “By the way, we still have one hour to wait before the sun sets. Do you want me to buy you something to eat or drink?”

  “Buy me a slushie, please.”

  “Alright. I’ll go. Don’t leave here, okay?” I asked and kissed her forehead.

  “Yes, Sir.”

  I crossed a footbridge and went to a near convenience store to buy two large cups of slushie.

  But when I came back, I didn’t find Chloe on the bench where I had left her. Panic suddenly struck me. I wasn’t supposed to leave her, since she got chest pain now and then. Had she just collapsed and some Good Samaritan rushed her to a hospital?

  “Chloe!” I called out for many times, while looking around.

  I asked a couple in the closer bench if they had seen a girl sitting there a while ago. But they said they hadn’t noticed anyone. Still calling out her name, I walked a little farther.

  Out of the blue, someone emerged on my side. I instantly hugged Chloe at the sight of her.

  “Don’t do this again, Chloe,” I said with a quivering voice. “I told you not to leave.”

  “I’m sorry, Chleo,” she said. “I just saw an acquaintance, so I came over to her to talk.”

  “Acquaintance? Who is it?”

  It took her a long time before she could answer:

  “Your ex… Colleen.”

  “Colleen? Where is she now?” I said, looking around.

  “She has left already. I don’t know why, but when I told her you were here, she immediately left.”

  Apparently, Colleen didn’t want to see me, so I didn’t ask more things about her.

  Colleen and I seated on a ledge by the seaboard while holding hands. Soon, the sun cast rays of deep orange lights over the rippling water of the sea and the expanse of the sky, but the travelling clouds trapped a few portions of the sunbeam.

  “Chleo, can I ask you something?” she asked, when the sun touched the horizon. “Why did you and Colleen break up?”

  “Why you suddenly asked so?” I said.