Chapter 10: Velvet

VELVET

Charcoal on Paper (36in x 24in)

  This figure drawing depicts a nude girl who was in a semi-prone posture. Only her hair and arms were concealing her bosom, while a strip of red velvet that covers her butt. Charcoal is used in this drawing except for the part of the velvet where a red pastel is used instead.

The first semester ended and the enrollment for the second semester followed. Like what mother had promised to me, she gave me money through Chloe to pay for my tuition and miscellaneous fee.

  Knowing it was my father’s money and I would get it without his knowledge, I refused to get the thick envelope of money Chloe was giving to me. My sister put it in my right hand and folded my fingers over it.

  “Take it,” she said. “You have no option left, Chleo.”

  Eventually, I surrendered and took the money. However, I thought my sister was not right to say that I had no other option – I knew I had another way to earn money.

  During the semestral break, I looked for a part-time job and got one on an outdoor nightclub close to the Seaside Road. Weekends were the days the club’s business was at its peak; thus, they needed more service staff during those days. My work started from Friday night until Monday morning which would really fit my schedule once the classes started. I would only have classes from Monday to Thursday. However, I had to finish my job faster before the dawn every Monday so that I wouldn’t be late on my first subject.

  As a staff member, I was responsible for serving the foods and cocktails to the customers. Sometimes, I functioned as a busser. Once the costumers were gone at the crack of the dawn, I became a part of the housekeeping crew who were responsible to clean the entire place. Gather the dishes and beer mugs, bottles and cans left scattered on tables, floor, and everywhere. Scrub the floor stained with pukes. Wake up the few remaining sleeping wasted and guide them to their cars where they could sober up. The problem was if the prick had no car. No problem, just get the hell out of here. I just watched them as they wobbled their way out of the nightclub.

  Now, I knew how hard it was to earn money.

Second semester.

  I was still doing good during the first week of classes. However, on the second week when most of the lectures started, being a working student had finally taken its toll on me.

  Monday was the worst day for me. Due to lack of sleep on that day, my eyelids were always pleading to shut. Clayton oftentimes nudged me to wake me up.

            Soon, I developed dark circles around my eyes. Chloe noticed it one time while we were having our lunch. I hadn’t told her about my work, because I knew she wouldn’t agree with it.

  “Chleo, have you been sleeping late at night these days?” she asked.

  I was thinking of an answer to tell when, Clayton spoke inadvertently:

  “Must be because of his work.”

  I cast a furious glance at this lover boy who couldn’t keep a secret.

  “I mean our work in our college,” he added, as he realized the wrong he had done.

  “Work?” Chloe asked suspiciously.

  My sister wasn’t a dumbass like him. Working and studying are two different things. How could he relate a work to school if we were just students? What made things more shady was Clayton’s inability to lie.

  During the entire lunchtime, my sister kept telling me to quit my job.

  “How are you going to focus on your studies if you have a work?” she said. “Promise me that you will quit your job soon?”