019; Selfishness

"We would put the crops here, expanding the walls," Planned Maggie, drawing on the sheet of paper.

"They would be better here. If we put them there, we would suspend the Church step." I replied, pointing to her drawing.

"You don't have your chart?" Asked Deanna.

"I forgot it at home," I responded with an innocent smile.

"Go get it." She ordered with a smile. I sighed and left the cup of coffee on the table. I left the basement to go to my house. I greeted everyone who crossed my path while I was on my way back. I had managed to get along fine with everyone. They were good people.

I see my house in the distance, and speed up. Before I reach the corner of the street, I hear glass shattering, making me turn to see what happened. Rick and Pete were fighting on the floor. The window of the Anderson house was destroyed, just like the railing of her porch.

"For God's sake, Lea!" Jessie came out of the door and ran to me. "You good?" The palm of my hand had been cut by one of the many shard of glass on the floor.

"Y-yes," I hesitate, then accept her hand to help me up. Together, we walked to the scene where a majority of people crowded.

"Rick, stop!" I scream, but he ignored me and continued fighting.

"Dad, stop it!" Carl tried to intrude, but only received a slight push from his father. That was the last straw. I approach Carl to help him stand up.

"Mom, your hand." He indicated with worry.

"It's just a cut," I guard Carl by putting him behind me, along with Enid.

"Rick, that's enough!" Ordered Deanna. The leader had Pete in his arms, he looked beat.

"Damn it, Rick! I said enough!" Insisted the woman.

"Or what?" He asked, releasing the blonde and pulling a weapon from his back. His face was covered in blood, I couldn't tell if it was his or Pete's.

"Put the gun down, Rick." Deanna asked, raising her hands and taking a few steps back.

"I still don't understand," I turn my head, meeting his gaze. "We know what to do. You just sit there. They hesitate and plan, and pretend to know, but they don't! I will not see how everyone falls, I will not stay out..." Before he finished, I approach him.

I hit the nape of his neck with my fist, leaving him unconscious. I take his weapon and give it to Deanna. A tear slipped down my cheek. He was as selfish as he had been. He had not thought about his family, what he could have lost for one stupid fight. Our children being left out because of selfishness. The men of Alexandria were in charge of transporting both men to different houses. Denis would take care of them.

I take Jessie by the shoulders and send Carl home. I accompany the woman and her children to their home. The poor woman was destroyed, and I was not far away from her state. I returned home where Carl was waiting for me, sitting on the sofa. Judith was in her room, asleep. Completely oblivious to what had happened.

"Let me take care of your wound," He asked me, I went to the bathroom. I sat on the toilet seat while Carl began disinfecting the wound. He continued to wrap it in a bandage. I was trying not to cry in front of him, but I couldn't hold them back.

"I'm sorry," I said between sobs.

"It's okay to cry, mom." He hugged me, rubbing my back.

"I don't want to be expelled, honey. I couldn't bear to see us have to run for our lives again." I respond.

"Everything will be fine. You'll see." Someone knocked on the door, making Carl and I separate.

"I'll go," He offered and I nodded. I didn't feel like talking to anyone.

"Mom!" He called from downstairs. "It's Maggie!" I let out a frustrated sigh and wash my face. The chestnut was waiting for me downstairs.

"Deanna will make a reunion, where she'll decided if Rick stays or goes. We have to go and support him."