Chapter Seven

We go to a few different stores for furniture. Lin points out a lot of cool stuff, but I mostly want to keep my room simple. I pick out a navy blue color for the walls, and we decide to pick out more blues to do an accent wall, which we will paint in triangles. We pick up painters tape and brushes to use.

The furniture we pick out consists of a white loft bed with a desk underneath, a huge whiteboard to hang on one wall, and a set of pink and blue beanbag chairs. We will have to put the loft bed together because it came in a set. Lin assures me he can, but we draft Anthony and Thayne to help anyway. We finish picking out everything around eleven thirty and decide to go out for lunch. We go to a little restaurant near SoHo and I get fish tacos, which turn out delicious.

"So," Lin says, "You act?"

I look at him, "How do you know that?"

"Pippa told me," he replies. "That's so amazing. What musicals have you been in?"

"Well, my school did Willy Wonka last year, and Le Mis the year before," I answer.

"Who did you play?" He questions.

"Well I was only in seventh grade for Le Mis, so I was just in the ensemble, but I was Veruca in Willy Wonka."

"You played Veruca in eight grade? And the high school put on the musical?" He sounds shocked?"

"Yeah," I say softly, taking a huge bite of my taco so I don't have to speak more.

"Veruca is one of the biggest female roles in the musical. You realize that, right?" He looks at me.

I nod, my mouth still full of taco.

"Huh," he says. We finish the rest of our meal in silence. When we finish Lin pays and we head back to the theater.

Arriving at the theater Lin and I both notice that the block seems empty. On a Sunday it is pretty scarce because no performances are going on until later.

Lin and I both carry a beanbag chair in. Thayne and Lin then struggle to carry in the box holding the pieces to the loft bed. I laugh at them as I carry in the cans of paint. Anthony carries in the whiteboard, and then we paint the first coat.

With all four of us painting at once, it is a little cramped in the room. I paint a column of paint in the corner and move over to start another, but accidentally get some paint from my brush on Thayne's arm.

"Hey!" He says. He drags his fingers through the paint can and smears the paint on my cheek. I act offended. I stick my finger in the paint can and put a dot of paint right between his eyes. After a few minutes of this, both our faces our covered in paint.

"Thayne, Hazel, how's it going over there?" Lin asks. He turned to look at us. His jaw drops after seeing us.

"Hazel did it," Thayne says at the exact same time I say, "Thayne did it." We both laugh nervously.

Lin sighs, "Just keep painting? Okay?" He says with a slight smile.

We both nod like children. Anthony laughs. "When Hazel's tan is covered up, you guys look like you could be siblings," he says.

Thayne and I look at each other. He shrugs. I shrug.

After about an hour three walls are painted and we have one color of the triangles on the accent wall done. We bring in the beanbag chairs, making sure not to touch the walls. Then, in the hallway, we begin to set up the loft bed.

"I think this piece goes here..." Lin says, unsure.

"No, it goes on the other side," Thayne contradicts.

"Look, it matches the picture, though," Lin replies.

"Yeah, but that's the wrong numbered piece!" Thayne answers.

"You guys, it's upside down," Anthony says, grabbing the piece and flipping it in their hands.

Thayne and Lin both glare at him for a moment, before Thayne says, "I was still right about where it goes."

I sigh, and look at Anthony, "This might take a while."

He chuckles, and nods.

*****

When Lin and Thayne have finally put the loft bed together, it is already time to prepare for the show. They move the loft into my room.

"Are you sleeping here tonight?" Lin asks.

"Yeah, I guess," I say, inspecting the loft. "You guys are sure this is well built?"

Lin nods. "We can go get your stuff from your old foster parents tomorrow."

"Okay," I say. "I'll just stay up here for the show, if that's okay."

"Absolutely!" Lin says. I'll see you after, okay?"

I nod, and he says, "I should get in costume. See you."

He walks out and closes the door. I sit in a beanbag chair and fall asleep to the sounds of the show beneath me.

A/N

Early update, yay! I just felt like writing and had nothing better to do. So, vote and comment! I hope you like the story so far!

Mitch