Part 3

His furious typing was put into a halt after I crack the news open for him. For a moment he was staring at his laptop screen blankly then he turned his head to me and stared at me in shock.

I gulped at his reaction. Somehow, I already see this one coming. But it really fires up my guilt especially when he made that expression. I felt him composed his self when he averted his gaze from me back to his laptop.

“I’m sorry D.O…It’s just that, I don’t want to bother you with such trivial matters.” I am like a child now begging to be forgiven and if I could, I would also use puppy eyes to make it work. “And I swear! He’s a very nice guy.”

He was silent. He never said a word after my revelation to him that Woonji and I are now officially dating. It has been months that he was courting me with sincere efforts and finally when I felt I’m not doing him justice anymore, I agreed to be his girlfriend. It was bliss when I saw him jumping in joy while enjoying his victory and came hugging me tight and saying ‘I love you’ a lot of times. My heart felt joy as I also savor the official moment that we’re now together.

But the thing is, I haven’t mentioned his name to D.O, not even once. I never told him that I was having a mutual understanding with a popular guy in school who’s currently my boyfriend, until tonight: when I finally built the courage to tell him. Yet now my bravery felt like it vanish immediately when I saw the reaction in his face that seemed like I betrayed him. Yes. I admit it, I betrayed him. Him, my best friend: the person who was supposed to know everything about me yet doesn’t know everything about me. And this is one of those things he doesn’t know, that’s why I’m telling him now. But I felt I still didn’t do him any justice for this.

“Congratulations.” He said weakly as he folds his laptop close and stood from the sofa and turned to go to his room. “If ever you go hungry, there’s much food in the fridge. I’m going to rest early, if you’re going home, just lock the door before you leave.” Then he vanishes to his own room and closed the door behind him.

Guilt is eating me up to my bones. He really felt betrayed, didn’t he? With a saddened sigh, I just stood up from the sofa and turned to the door and went out of his apartment. It seems, D.O didn’t like the news one bit.

*

“Yah, why with the long face?” Woonji sits with me on our school’s garden bench as I sulk myself on a scenery that should be relaxing and soothing to the soul. It was a dreadful its magic didn’t affect me a bit.

“I don’t know Woonji-ah, I just felt guilty for D.O” I depressingly said as I watch my fingers play with my handkerchief. It was already a habit whenever I feel down and all.

“Wae? What have you done to your best friend??” He dramatically said with a pretend gasp. I looked at him and gave him a weak smile to acknowledge his effort on cheering me up.

“I, I told him about us…finally. And it seems I should’ve told him from the start.”