04

-yoandri cabrera

"i think it's for the best yoandri."

my mom was giving me a lecture about transferring schools. i had already told her no every single time she brings it up. but i know my mom, she wants the best for me.

"mama, i already told you no."

she sighed as i took the last bite of my meal. she stood up and took my plate to the sink.

"they're just going to keep bothering you, yoandri," she spoke.

"i made a friend," i blurted out.

"you did? is it the girl who helped you today?" she said excitedly.

"yeah," i smiled.

in reality, i didn't know if i was friends with skyler or not. she just helped me. but that doesn't mean we're friends, right?

"what's her name? you never told me."

"h-her name is skyler."

"that's a lovely name."

"i'm going to go to my room."

"okay baby."

i walked into my bedroom and plopped on my bed. i took out my phone and put my sad day playlist on shuffle. it wasn't really a bad day, other than the fact that i was picked on again, it wasn't all that bad. i met skyler.

-

i woke up to knocking on my door. i checked the time in my phone and it was 7:25 pm. i squinted my eyes as my mom barged in and turned on the lights.

"sorry but i had to wake you but you're not going to be able to sleep in the night."

"okay mama," i said quietly as she turned off the light and closed the door once again.

it's not like i sleep much in the night anyway. my mind drifted to skyler again. i wonder what grade she's in. i hope she's a sophomore like i am. i grabbed a towel and walked to the bathroom. i took off my clothes and hopped in the warm water.