Will You Go Out With Me?

"You want me to help you get a girlfriend?" I asked incredulously.

"Um. I guess," he said. "Who do you think would go out with me?"

"Umm... well maybe---" I was cut off suddenly by my mom walking into the room. Thank goodness.

"Ramona, I've been wondering if you and Lola are doing ok. You seem to get upset whenever she comes over," Kimmy said.

So that's what she had been saying to DJ. "Mom, I told you I'm fine. Nothing's wrong with Lola and I."

"Are you sure?" she asked suspiciously. "You know you can talk to me about anything."

"I know Mom. I'm sure."

"Well ok." She shrugged, smiled, and walked back to the kitchen.

"Yeah. You have been acting a little weird Ramona," Jackson said.

"What? Me weird? I'm not weird," I said. I looked the other way so Jackson wouldn't see me grimacing. Oh yeah Ramona you're definitely not acting weird, I thought.

"Ok then. Anyways... you were gonna help me?" I sighed. How was I going to get out of this?

"Um... well, I don't really know what you want me to do I mean what do you need help with? Just go ask a girl out."
I shrugged.

"I can't just ask a girl out. It's not that easy."

"Why not? Here... practice on me," I said. I didn't know why I was helping him get a girlfriend when what I really wanted was for him to ask me out. And now he would ask me out... but it would be fake; to practice asking out another girl.

He gave me a weird look, but agreed that he needed practice. "Ok... Ramona will you go out with me?"

"Yes. See? It's not that hard Jackson."

For some reason he blushed and looked away. "I guess not. Well... thanks." He got up off the couch and walked into the kitchen. I closed my eyes, groaning. He was never going to realize that I liked him unless I told him straight to his face. And I couldn't do that. He wouldn't like me back anyway and I just had to accept it and move on. My mom walked back into the room looking confused, one eyebrow raised and her nose and mouth scrunched up. Great. What was it now.

"I could've sworn I just heard Jackson ask you out!" she said, laughing. I gave her a look. "Wait did he?!"

"Yes Mom, but it wasn't real. I was just helping him practice asking someone out, so he could ask another girl out." I must have sounded upset because Mom squinted her eyes at me.

"You like Jackson don't you?" she said eyes widening. Crap.

"Mom no I don't!" It was her turn to give me a look. "Ok... I like Jackson. But you can't tell anyone. Please?"

"It'll be our secret!" she said excitedly. "But Ramona, if you really like him why don't you just tell him?"

"Because he would never like me back," I mumbled. She came and sat on the couch beside me. She put her arm around me and squeezed comfortingly. Or what was meant to be comfortingly, but it was a rather tight squeeze.

"If he doesn't like my Ramona that's his loss," she said decidedly. I smiled. Even if my mom was completely goofy and quirky, she was a great mom. But I couldn't follow her advice. At least not yet. I still hadn't gotten the courage. The door swung open and DJ came through like a bullet.

"Has anyone seen— oh wait there they are," she said, laughing and picking some papers of the coffee table. She smacked her forehead and kept laughing, turning to walk back to the kitchen. She stopped suddenly and turned around. "Oh hey Ramona! It's the silliest thing, but I could've sworn I heard Jackson ask you out a couple minutes ago. Isn't that crazy?!"

I glanced at my mom. Really did everyone hear that? I thought. "I was just helping him get the courage to ask someone out. It's no big deal."

"Oh! Who's he asking out? I haven't heard about this!"

"Umm I'm actually not sure... I don't think he is either," I said, shrugging.

"Hm." she said, clearly thinking. She finally turned around and walked back into the kitchen. My mom turned to me.

"So. Like I said, you should go for it!" She gave me another squeeze and then she followed DJ into the kitchen. I was left alone again. Maybe I should ask Jackson out. Yeah. I could do this. I just had to tell him how I felt and ask him out. That simple. I got off the couch and made my way upstairs.

I walked over to his door, but it was closed. I could hear him talking inside. I lightly knocked and the door swung open. Jackson had his phone to his ear and his finger to his lips telling me to be quiet. He pointed to the phone excitedly.

"I need to talk to—" he cut me off.

"Yeah. Yup. Saturday sounds great! Cool I'll pick you up 8. Yup. I can't wait, Tessa! Ok bye," he said ending the call. "Thanks so much Ramona! I asked out Tessa and she actually said yes!" he hugged me excitedly then pulled back with a look on his face like he was wondering why he had done that. I looked at my feet. We stood there in an awkward silence for a couple minutes.

"Sooo what were you gonna say?"

"Oh um... I was just gonna say that... you decided to get a girlfriend and it sounded like a good idea, so I might get a boyfriend. Maybe... Popko!"

"But you hate Popko," he said, giving me a weird look.

"Yeah, but I figured I might as well give him a chance. He's tried really hard to get me to date him."

"Well ok. Good luck?"

"Yeah. Thanks," I said awkwardly. I stood there for a couple more seconds then turned on my heel and left as quick as I could. I went in my room and shut the door softly behind me. I knew that had been a bad idea. I was so stupid.

Wow this chapter was 1037 words! That's a new record for me! This chapter was kinda sad but I hope you're liking the story so far. Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow me! Love from the author,

The_Lovely_Libra ❤️