Set Your Heart At Rest

Betty gave a quick, sharp knock on Kevin's office door. She had lost count of the times he had told her she didn't need to knock but some manners were so deeply ingrained they felt wrong to let slip. There had also been that one time when she hadn't knocked and caught Moose and Kevin in a compromising position on his desk. She heard his voice from the other side telling her to come in, and she entered the small office.

"Betty!" he exclaimed happily, rising from his chair to cross the room and envelope her in a hug; Kevin was a hugger always had been. "You look gorgeous."

She smiled shyly at the compliment, her hands running over the material of the light blue dress she had chosen for the rehearsals and the party to follow as he released her from his grip.

"Thanks Kevin. How's Moose?" The coy smile that crossed Kevin's face as she asked her question did not go unnoticed by her. He had texted her last night saying he was going to go visit the recently discharged from hospital Moose and Betty had simply sent a winky face emoji in response.

"He's good." She raised her eyebrows at his answer knowing from the look on Kevin's face and the distinct bounce in his step that it was not as simple as Moose being 'good'.

"Just good?" She pried a little further.

"Very good." Betty couldn't think of anyone better to be looking after Moose, and she was happy that they were spending time together again. Ever since their brief encounter last summer she had hoped that the two of them would find their way back to each other, who knew all it would take was an errant car and two broken legs. A bit dramatic but this was Kevin.

"And how are you're lessons going?" Her friend and director asked effectively changing the subject.

"Fine." A short quick answer. Much like his own to her question.

"I spoke to Veronica and she said you had been working wonders on our little budding actor. I am excited to see how he has improved under your guidance."

Betty couldn't decipher whether that was a smirk on Kevin's face or not. She was also not keen on the idea of Veronica and Kevin talking with each other about whatever this was between her and Jughead. Not that there was anything between her and Jughead. She just didn't want them talking about her business.

"He's doing okay." Betty purposely downplayed the progress that they had both made together.

"I think you are selling yourself short Betty. And Jughead too." Betty couldn't meet his eyes as Kevin said his name. "Either way I am excited to see the progress." She nodded and turned around to leave the small office before his voice stopped her once more. "Are you going to Veronica's tonight, after the rehearsals?"

Betty paused, her hand on the door as she deliberated what to say to him. The concern in his voice was obvious and she didn't want to worry him but she wasn't quite sure how much had Veronica shared with him. "Yeah I am."

A deep sigh came from across the room. "Just be careful okay? Archie is-"

She turned to face him at the mention of Archie's name.

"-He doesn't always know what he's doing or how he might hurt others," Kevin continued. "I just don't want to see you getting hurt, Betty."

"I will be careful, Kev," she assured him as she left the office, knowing in her heart of hearts that she would be anything but.

She hadn't gotten there in time. They had tried but she- they, were moments too late. Angry with herself and cursing herself for not being there- for being selfish in her own pursuit of something else- Betty had asked Jughead to drop her back off at her apartment because she couldn't bear to go back to that empty house, filled with all its memories. She had wanted her mom to leave this world in a place that was familiar and safe, not alone in a hospital bed surrounded only by medical staff.