Chapter 3 - Determined

Maximus

"Maximus, why did you let me die?" There I was, standing in some place with no color except white. There were no walls, no other people. Just me and my mother.

"I wasn't there... I should've been there to protect you, but now you're gone." I said dropping my head sadly.

"You're right about that! This is all your fault! You're a terrible son! I'm glad you're out of my life!" Her voice sounded like it came from different directions and got louder and louder that it started to sound like a shriek.

I woke up with a jolt breathing very fast and heavily while drops of sweat ran down my face from my forehead. It was the same nightmare I've had since my mother died. It's never left my head and as long as I still think about it, it's not going to leave.

Knowing I couldn't go back to sleep, I got out of bed and decided to do a quick warm-up run around the village before training today.

After I got dressed, I ran out my room and straight to the door with haste.

"Max, where are you going at three in the morning?" I sighed turning away from the door and to my father who was leaning on the wall half-asleep.

"Just a quick run before the day starts. It clears my mind I guess." I told him avoiding eye contact.

"You still having that same nightmare?" He asked knowingly. I nodded slowly at him not saying a word.

"It's all about your mindset son. If you don't let it go, then the thought of her won't let go of you." I gritted my teeth and hit my fist on the door aggressively barely making him flinch.

"How can you simply tell me to forget about her? Doesn't she matter to you at all anymore?" I asked attempting to hold back my anger.

"She meant the world to me Max, you know that. But I learned to move on and I think you should too." He calmly replied back. I scoffed before walking out the door slamming it afterward.

I knew he was right. He always seemed to be right about a lot of problems I had. I didn't like his solutions, but it ended up working most of the time. So maybe I do need to move on from my mother, but the problem is I don't know how.

Alexandra

I squinted my eyes at the window noticing the shimmer of sunlight peeking through the curtains. I suddenly hopped out of bed realizing what today was. Quickly and energetically, I dashed into the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror. I had a huge smile on my freckled face until I noticed my extremely messy red hair.

I rushed to brush my hair putting it into a high ponytail and brush my teeth as well missing the sink a few times while spitting.

When I was done with all of the hygienic stuff, I rummaged through my closet for my favorite outfit. A loose black and gold sleeveless top and a slit skirt with coordinating colors.

Once I was finally done getting ready, I slowly and quietly left my room considering it was 5 am and my mother was still sleeping.

"Should I advise your mother of where you're headed off to, princess?" A guard asked standing next to my door causing me to jump unaware of his presence.

"I'm just getting food for the cook to prepare," I informed him slowly.

"Didn't you do that yesterday?" He asked but a little more suspiciously.