Chapter 3: The messenger

Day slowly sat down on a nearby rock with a sigh "So run this by me again...who are you?" he said with a slightly tired tone in his voice as he was now recoverin from his aprutply ended battle . 

The man in the long coat pinched the area of his nose that was between his eyes in frustration "I am the mess-eng-er dumbass. MESSENGER. Voice of the Great beings, all that shit. I'm here because the Great Beings think you're 'The one' I quite frankly don't see it. "

Day pulled off his helmet "What's up your ass?"

The messenger sat down, reaching into his coat and pulling out a flask "Look, kid, I've been through this song and dance so many times now. A guardian comes along thinking they're hot shit because they got one of the more powerful sacred blades, the great beings start thinking their hot shit, I get FORCED to follow them around, they eventually die, and all that time I wasted babysitting them, all of my normal work got backed up. So naturally, I'm not happy about this."

"Day." Day replied. "I have a name."

The Messenger clapped sarcastically "Woopiedo, You got a name, a stupid name. Really? Who names their kid Day?! Don't take this the wrong way but the sooner you die, the sooner I can get back to my job."

Day struggled to keep his cool "Ok..." he replied extending his hand to the gray headed man "I've already told you my name, what's yours?"

The Messenger looked down at the hand "Yeah, no. again I'm expecting you to die. I've lost a lot of friends, so I'll save myself the trouble, and not befriend you."

Day looked off to the side, but then nodded agreeing with that mentality in some odd way "Alright...lose a lot of friends huh, how'd that happen."

The Messenger sighed "I'm not drunk enough to tell that story."

"Alright..." Day replied, "what about your eye then, why is it cybernetic?"

"Not drunk enough to tell THAT story either...which is the same story." The messenger replied, "look do you have a home or something or do we just crash in the middle of nowhere?"

"I have a home, but it is in the middle of nowhere." Day said as he stood up. With a strike of his fist to the disc on his left shoulder pad; the warrior caused his armor to vanish from his body revealing a plain sleeveless under shirt. Clearly, he wore this because he intended to be wearing his armor for most of the day.  "I'll lead the way."

The messenger got up "Really? I was going to suggest I lead the way, to a place I don't know the location of!"

Day sighed and started walking, eventually leading the messenger to his simple home. Once he opened the door he invited the rather rude man in. The house was a fairly simply lay out. The door opened up to a living room. The living room had your typical worn out couch, a reclining chair, a rather...out dated TV with vintage wood paneling. A simple brown rug covered the floor as it trailed back to the door way in the wall that separated the living room from the rest of the home.  

the messenger flung himself onto the couch and rested his head on the right arm of the old, cloth couch. Upon laying his head back it bumped into the corner of the picture frame that held the old picture of Day and Trya when they were younger. The messenger's organic eye...softened ever so slightly as he picked it up "so you got a girl?"

"Used to." Day replied calmly, he didn't sound saddened by it.

"What happened?" The messenger asked.

Day started to reply with the 'not drunk enough' excuse to be an ass, but replied honestly "Nothing really, we both trained to be guardians, we both passed, and we both got assigned different realms." Day said as he sat down in his chair