Ch. 10

Draco's pov:
The past two days haven't been all that bad while spending time with Preston. When she asked to come to dinner last night I was hesitant because of some voice in my head saying something about Theo. Although, she did sit by me, so all her attention wasn't completely directed towards him.

I was able to make her laugh and smile at dinner, something that recently I found I like seeing. I would never say that aloud but it made me feel something when I saw her dimples appear in her cheeks, something good.

Now we were sat next to each other in Marriage class while the teacher was discussing last weeks exercise. When she said how things could've gone a little better I knew she was talking about Preston and I's display we showed.

"Now!" Mrs. Janson said giving the class her usual overly too happy smile. "I want you and your partners to start discussing engagement plans, if you already have then please begin discussing wedding plans." With this the optimistic teacher started circulating around the room.

Preston turned to me and instantly something inside me grew warm when she gave me a small smile. What are you doing Malfoy? This is Preston we're talking about, you've always hated her and now you're acting all giddy like you have a school boy crush. Crush? Wait what. No. I just need to stop thinking about all of this.

"Malfoy?" Preston chuckles. "You alright? You seem like you're fighting an inner demon." She stated. Oh only if you knew.

"Yea, I'm fine." I say blankly. We sit there for a bit before the other says anything.

"So when-" "I was-" breaking the silence we both spoke at the same time. She laughed and I groaned internally at the way her laughter in my ears made me feel.

"Go ahead." I spoke encouraging her to go first.

"So when do you think we should do the engagement?" She asked looking at me once she finished from her fit of giggles.

"I think it should be soon, I mean there's no point in waiting until last minute. Maybe next week?" I say wondering how she feels.

"Sure." She said looking down.

She probably thought this engagement would be me taking her to pick out a ring and that was it. I'd have to make sure that wasn't the case. "Ok well does next Sunday sound fine? That's the day after the first quidditch meet." Preston just nodded her head.

After sitting in silence for a few quiet minutes Preston spoke. "Why did you decide to not be my friend after you found out I was sorted into Gryffindor?"

Her question was random and struck me by surprise. I ran my hand through my hair thinking why exactly did I become the rude Draco towards her.....Oh that's right. I was jealous. "I..well..I don't know." Was all I could speak out.

She looked down a little sad. This created a hole in my body somewhere and I didn't like the feeling. "I was upset." I said and she looked up curiously. "I didn't like how Potter, Weasley, and Granger got the opportunity to spend all the time with you." I looked away not wanting her to know that I was jealous. "Plus you were Gryffindor and I was a Slytherin, I had to keep up ways. By the time I found out who you were I was instructed to stay away from half bloods." I kept the part out about my father wanting me to stay away from specifically her.

The thing was that throughout my years here at Hogwarts I was never able to "stay away" from Preston. I'd make sure I get the opportunity to pick on her just so I could see her or hear her voice. Some days I'd pick on her more than any of her friends even Potter just so I could be face to face with her. I even remember making sure to pick her out through the crowd during the Yule ball so I could make fun of how she looked. That night didn't go as planned though, I never even got to get close to throw an insult I was too nervous. She looked beautiful and I couldn't face her. All I did was just watch her and basically ignore my date the entire time. That news made it back to my father and I got a long letter about my behavior towards Preston the very next day.