1777: Lost It All Again

(I've never had the confidence to do this, I don't expect to win anything but this story has a lot of potential

(I've never had the confidence to do this, I don't expect to win anything but this story has a lot of potential.)

Munro

The letter felt like a ghost from the past. It arrived months before my departure to France, its corners slightly crumpled from the journey. As I opened it, my hands trembled with a mixture of anticipation and unease. Shay's handwriting was as familiar as it was foreign, echoing memories of a time long gone twenty years to be exact. Twenty years since he vanished from my life, aiding in an escape that changed everything. He had spirited his wife away, diverging onto a path that led him away from our cause. I understood his reasoning then. He had a family a wife and child and that love drove him to make his choices. Now, as I unfolded the letter, I wondered what could have brought him back.

Dear Colonel Munro,

I understand what you're asking of me, and I know this will break Evie's heart. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make peace between the Templars and the Assassins. I will do anything to keep my family safe. These moments with Evie will be important for me because I don't know when I'll see her again.

Yours Truly,

Shay

I read the letter over and over as if searching for hidden meanings in the strokes of his pen. Each word lingered in the air like a shadow, a whisper of a long-lost alliance. It was clear how deeply Shay loved his family, and yet he was prepared to risk it all. If he truly intended to unite the Parisian Rite a feat never before achieved amid the ceaseless war between Templars and Assassins he would need a new identity. It wasn't just a name change; Shay had to become an entirely different person.

As the weight of this task settled on me, the enormity of it loomed large. The Parisian Order was a labyrinth of secrets and dangers. Even the slightest misstep could spell disaster. And yet, we were not far from France, only a week away by my calculations. Shay's mind was set on the mission, but I doubted he fully understood the peril his ideals posed. The Grandmaster of the Parisian Order shared his vision, but this would be the most treacherous mission Shay had ever embarked upon.

Shay

The morning light seeped through the curtains, casting a gentle glow on Evie as she lay nestled under the thick quilts. I leaned down, brushing a tender kiss across her forehead. "Goodbye, my love," I whispered, my voice barely audible over the thudding of my heart. "Think better of me if I come home." My hand lingered on the door frame for a moment longer, as if by sheer will, I could etch this memory into my soul. The sight of her sleeping peacefully was both a comfort and a burden.

With a heavy heart, I pulled my hood over my head, feeling the weight of my decision settle like an iron mantle upon my shoulders. My sword and dagger were already strapped to my side, their familiar presence both reassuring and ominous. As I stepped out into the cool dawn air, I caught sight of Jacob, waiting by the gate. He was the only one who knew the truth of my mission, the one person I trusted with my life and, more importantly, with the safety of my family.