Chapter One I'm A Witch

• Dedicated to Charlotte

In England, in a little brown house in the middle of Wiltshire, was a girl reading in her bed.  She had long sandy blonde hair and the tips were blonde.  Her greyish, turquoise eyes fixed on the words of the book.  She was tall and thin and at the moment she wore a fuchsia top with indigo jeans.  This girl was not ordinary although you would think she was a normal English child in a normal English world……

Sunday, 4th September 2013

Today was my birthday.  I woke up on my 11th birthday; I was excited because I always loved my birthday.  I quickly changed and ran downstairs.  As usual my mum and dad were down there already, my mum and dad looked up at me.  “Happy Birthday Misty.”  Mum and dad were eating breakfast, dad was also reading the news.  On the table was a gift.  I sat down at the table with them.  On the table was also a letter, I picked it up and read the address. 

Misty Swift, 53, Daisy Lane, Dinton, Wiltshire, England  

The envelope was sealed with a red seal, on the seal was a fancy ‘A’, I wasn’t sure where it was from because there was no return address.  I looked at my mum, she looked at me and I asked “Who is this from?”  

Mum answers my question, “It’s from a boarding school near here.  Why don't you open it and read it.”  I opened the envelope and inside was a letter and a list, I read the letter first. 

Dear Misty Swift,

You are invited to join The Academy of Magic, this year, to be your first year.

In this academy you will be learning witchcraft and wizardry.  In this envelope I have given you a list of things you will need.  Please come to the stores in Gobble Street to buy these needs. 

See you at the academy on the 5th of September,

Theodor Dankwood

Head Master of The Academy of Magic

I looked up from the letter at my parents, I needed an explanation.  “What is this?  What does this mean?”  

My mum started to explain, “There is something we have never told you.  It’s that we are witches and wizards, you are also a witch.  When you were found we knew you were a witch so we knew that you, like us would be invited to the academy when you turned 11.  We got this letter a few days ago but decided to give it to you on your birthday and tomorrow is the 5th when you need to go, so we have to go to Gobble Street in Cinder Village to buy those things for your new school, we told your old school that we are moving you to a boarding school.  George and I loved that school; it was so much fun, so we hope you also like it.”

My Dad continued, “We aren’t your real parents so you will want to find out about them,” He told me briefly.

“Yeah, I know, you’ve told me before.  That explains all those weird things that I seem to do but are impossible.  So I have to go to this school?”

Mum said calmly, “Yes, and you can decide to come back or stay for holidays, okay?”

I was astonished, “Sure.  How did you get me?”

“You were placed on our door step.  Be careful okay, because we don’t want anything bad to happen.  Okay, we must go to buy the things on that list.”  My dad explained.

“In this parcel are your school clothes Misty.”  My mum handed me a parcel.

I went upstairs to put it away.  I am a witch?  This thought stayed in my head; I was not sure whether to be happy or sad?

I made my way downstairs.  Dad and mum were already in the car, I rushed over to the back seat to join them.  We went out of the driveway, twisting and turning between roads.  I found that I was happy about all of the news.  As we arrived to a dead-end street I stared, my dad was still driving at the same speed, he was not going to stop, I got extremely worried, we were going to crash!  I closed my eyes and covered my head and waited.  As time went by and nothing happened I looked and I was amazed somehow we had gone through the wall and we were in an amazing little town.  This must be Cinder Village!