The Sweetest Day

February came quickly and before we knew it Valentine's Day was here. I was just about to leave for work when I got a text message. It was Sonja. "Come on in when you get here". "Hey, what's up?" I asked as I came through the door. Here, I wanted to give this to you before we went to work. It will give you something to think about today. I looked up at her and saw that grin I knew, the one that says look out there's something wrong with the chair and you're going to fall when you sit down. I opened the box, pushed back the tissue and there was this red hot nightgown, fish net stockings and black garters. She laughed at the look on my face and said "I'll model it for you when we get back."

Sonja and Pride went to the morgue mid-morning. While she was gone, I went back to the fridge and got out the flowers that I had ordered and that Tammy had picked up for me. I sat those and a valentine decorated cup of red wrapped candy kisses on her desk.

I stopped Pride at the door allowing Sonja to walk ahead and we suddenly heard her squeal as she got to her desk and saw the vase filled with the two dozen red roses. Pride laughed and said "go ahead" as she hesitated and then rushed to kiss me.

She offered candy around to us all and also to Sebastian and Triple P when they came in later. Everyone who walked by the cup took a candy kiss out. Miss Loretta hurried in just before noon and we all went to the kitchen to eat.

Lunch was great. King out did himself. He winked at me knowing that this would turn out to be a very, very special day. Gregorio was ahead of us minus Sonja as we walked back toward the work space. She hollered back at Sonja who was still in the kitchen washing dishes. "There's something wrong with the mug that the candy was in.

Sonja came flying out of the back and grabbed the cup and by then could see something at the bottom. As she turned the cup upside down, the last two pieces of candy fell out along with a diamond engagement ring. Talk about a scream. She looked at me and then jumped into my arms "This is for me?" "Yes" I responded "it is if you will make me the happiest man in New Orleans and marry me" "Yes, I'll marry you" she responded as I swung her around nearly crying myself. Our co-workers burst into applause and hugged us and each other.

We were working in the squad room a few days later and the phone rang. I answered it and it was Brody. "Congratulations work husband. I couldn't be happier for you both. So when's the wedding?" "The week before the Essence Festival" I responded. We would have had it that week, but all of the hotels were booked up. "And where?" She followed up. "We are going back to the site of our first date, the Tulane University Museum" to answer Brody's question.

"Let me talk to Sonja"

"Hello?" "Hi Sonja, congratulations City Mouse. LaSalle just told me guys are getting married in July. Am I invited?" "Of course you are. We want you to be in the wedding. Do you want to stand with Chris or with me? We won't be hurt by you choosing one over the other; we just want you here with us." Girl, I love Chris, but you stood by me during those dark times as I grieved my sister and Agent Russo. I want to return the favor.

"Okay, I will send you a color swatch. Pick out your own dress and send me the bill. Get as close to the color as you can. My sister is going to be my maid of honor. Pride is going to stand up with Chris. You'll walk down the aisle with Cade. It's going to be a small wedding, just family."

I put the line on hold and went back to the kitchen to find Pride so that he could also speak with Mary.