Chapter 1: Chloe

"Laney, it's not my fault that we're dragged into high school." I said to my best friend, Delaney, as I slammed my locker door shut. It was the first day of high school in Pine Brook High. And believe me, I was not any more nervous than Delaney.

We walked side by side to our homeroom class. "But aren't you even the least bit nervous?" she asked. I turned around to face her. "OF COURSE I'M NERVOUS!" I screamed. Who wouldn't be? I went to the door of the classroom. I'm just about ready to pass out.

"You can do this, Chloe." I said to myself. With Delaney using me as a human shield, I swung open the door. Everyone turned to face me and all the boys stared real long and hard. Delaney quickly took a seat next to her boyfriend and life long best friend, Daniel Baynbrig.

My heart was racing, why is everyone looking at me? "Who's the cute one?" I heard one guy say. THEY THINK I'M PRETTY! "Move it." I heard someone behind me say. It was Nikki Glass, voted hottest 8th grader in her school. Jeez, that girl. I sat next to this boy named Joey. At least that's what it said on his desk.

He looked at me in the eyes. "I'm Joey, but you can call me lady killer if you want. Everyone does," Joey said. I wasn't even going to ask why he was called lady killer. "Hi. I'm Chloe." I responded. He leaned over to whisper to me. "Watch out, the boys in this school go crazy for girls like you." I smiled. Partially happiness, mostly fear.

PLOP.

Jessica Davis, voted 13th hottest asian girl last year, just sat on the other side of Joey. "Hey, Lady Killer," she said. Why is his name that? Joey responded with a smile and a head nod. "Jessica, this is Chl-" he tried to say. But she cut him off with a ginormous gasp. "OMG CHLOE! It's soooo good to see you again!"

We were in the 6th grade together. Along with Delaney of course. "Look, I have to go to my seat now, but Chloe nice seeing you again and Joey I'll see you around," she said very quickly. With that, Jessica ran to her seat which was placed next to this guy named Zach.

The teacher walked in. "Hello freshman students. I am Mrs. Capat the science teacher. Due to the district's tradition of having a contest to decide where you students stand in order to not cause any dispute, we will be having contest's until the end of the second semester, thus, shorter classes.

"You're first fight is in one hour. Get acquaintances."

~~~~~

We were thrown into the pit of an all out fight of the mean girls. Yes, we were seeing who the meanest freshman girl of 2013-2014 was. And my eyes were just swelling with complete and utter fear. "Next in the ring is Delaney Norstorm and Kristen Ross!" the announcer boomed. Holy crap, she's toast. Honestly, Delaney is one of the nicest girls I've met, and let me tell you she's not all up for the whole rudeness thing.

It has begun. "Where'd you get that sweater? Grandma's Homemade.com?" Kristen said. "You should know, I borrowed it from you anyway." Delaney retaliated. My eyes widened and I'm quite sure I'm going deaf. Did Delaney just say that?

"Really? Must've been what you gave me for a gift!" Kristen sneered. The crowd was cheering, mainly for Kristen. But, there was Jessica and Joey and myself cheering for Delaney. Just when I thought she had run out of ideas I heard Delaney.

She took a deep breath and said with a confident voice, "Would you like your eggs sunny-side up?" Half-heartedly, Kristen laughed and simply replied with a no. Delaney then smiled and I have no idea why. "Then beat it, Kristen!" she said.

"The winner is Delaney Norstorm!" the announcer said. Did she just- and said- DELANEY JUST WON?! Okay, I must be on hallucinogens or something. Especially if Delaney just won the title of mean girl to the Kristen Ross. She's the best friend of Jessica Davis and voted 18th meanest girl last year.

~~~~~

Jessica was squeezing between me and Delaney to get to the ring to fight for the title of best singer. And just to let you know, she's not going to lose. "Next up, Jessica Davis versus Bianca Capalup." No matter how amazing Bianca might be, I've never met a better singer then Jessica - ever.

They were both forced to sing "Let it Go," from Frozen. And Bianca sang. However, Jessica sang the song better; no surprise there. "The winner is Jessica Davis!" the voice boomed over head. She ran out with an uncontained smile on her face to go hug Kristen Ross, Nikki Glass, Anna Probirka, Jennifer Kwan, and Victoria Hoen.

Earlier, Kristen had won for skinniest girl, Anna had won for most athletic [even beating the boys], and Jennifer winning 2nd for hottest asian just 1/2 a point behind Victoria who also won best girl dancer. By now, Jessica was in 5th for hottest asian, best singer, and tied in first with Anna for best girl gamer.

My mind was spaced out when Joey tapped me. "Get ready," he said. "What?" I replied unaware of what was happening at all. Delaney gave me a thumbs up and I suddenly knew what was happening. Fight of the hottest girl.

"Next up, Chloe Rinee versus Nikki Glass for the title of Hottest Girl!" the announcer said. I tied my hair into a quick braid and went up. Nikki glared at me then went on the stage herself radiating. There's no way that I can win this.

Jessica and Delaney were cheering for me. But Jessica was cheering for both of us. "Please put your votes in the box!" the announcer said. It's okay if I don't win, I don't really even expect to. After about 6 minutes they finally said something.

They handed the envelope to the announcer. "Winning by 3 votes... Chloe Rinee!" My smile became so big, I wondered if they were as big as my eyes. Nikki gaped at me in disbelief. I ran off the stage and went to go hug Delaney.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I'll see you tomorrow, okay?" I told Delaney. She shook her head and I got off the bus. I honestly think that there was no way my first day could've gone any better. "Hi, Mom." I said as I entered our house.

"Hey, Chloe. How was your first day?" Parents always seem to ask that. "Good." I replied not wanting to get into details. Once I walked into my room, I was greeted with a nerf bullet stuck on my forehead.

Oh, did I forget to mention I have a twin brother who doesn't go to my school? Yeah, Owen. "Hey baby sis." he said walking up to me and plucking the bullet from my face. "Owen, we're twins. How can I be your baby sis?" I don't know why I continue to ask when I already know the answer.

"The fact that I'm older than you by 3 minutes, I'm taller than you by a foot, and I'm a grade ahead." he said casually. Owen was always a grade ahead because he's some freaky boy genius. Last year, he was accepted into a scholarship high school. "Whatever."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stared at the clock in my practice room which read 6:15 pm. "Don't worry, I'll catch you if you fail," Owen said. Next week was the regional championship for cheerleading and I'm still trying to master my back tuck.

Well, a back tuck off of a pyramid. So I was standing on a platform 7 feet high. I tried my back tuck again which I ultimately was failing for the 8th time. "Ugh, this is hopeless." Just then, the doorbell rang.

"I got it!" Owen said and ran up. I climbed back up onto the platform and waited until Owen got back. The door opened and I stood back up. "Ready?" I asked. "Yup." My 9th attempt at the back tuck which ended disastrously. Instead of being rewarded with my brother's stupid face when I was caught, I was looking into Joey's.

Shocked, I quickly jumped down and hit my laughing brother. "What are you doing here?" I asked Joey. He pulled something from his pocket. My hair ribbon. "You dropped this at school today." he said. Then he left without another word.

Climbing back on the platform, I adjusted the ribbon into my hair and tried the back tuck for the 10th and final time. "Here goes nothing." I landed flawlessly. "You did it!" Owen cheered. I did. I really did it! In fact, I did it when Joey returned my ribbon. No, I'm being silly. A ribbon can't affect my ability to do back tucks.

"I really did do it."