When the past collides with the present

Essena's POV

I never understood how love happens, or how people are able to trust others enough to be in love. I've always thought it's safe to keep your distance. The whole concept stresses me, because I fail to comprehend it. Don't get me wrong, there must me something about love, the way it completely overtakes people's lives. But I've just never thought it was for me, the whole romance thing. The whole relationship thing.

Ponderously staring outside the car windows, I heard my parents chatting and occasionally sneaking glances at me. "So which friend did you sleep over at this time?" my dad inquired. I jolted a bit, and then remembered I had lied in order to spend my last night out in the town. "Oh yeah, Emily, from Chemistry class.." I lied while fiddling my thumbs. My mother interrupted and told me "Oh honey, I'm sure you'll make plenty of new friends. San Jose is a lovely city, you'll see!"

Sure I told myself, the land of the high tech empire. Well at least my father got a new promotion at Apple, and our new salary was causing quite the commotion amongst our family friends. I may as well attempt to be positive about this.

The next day I was rushing down the black spiraling stairs of out new house, carefully dodging the boxes that seemed to be everywhere. It was a cute little house, and my parents decided to give me the small room (more like an attic) upstairs. Appreciating the privacy, I held all complaints to myself. In San Francisco at our old apartment, my room was tangent to my parents, and I felt they heard everything.  

Pulling on my black boots, I smoothed down my green dress and threw on a jeans jacket. At least I don't need to worry about stockings, I tried to tell myself. My parents already left to work, and out of courtesy remembered to wake me up on their way out. Rushing, I grabbed a green apple from the bowl on the kitchen counter and ran out the door.

San Jose was different. There was a fresh smell of dew in the air. The grass on our porch was damp, and the grey skies were misleading. It was lukewarm outside, but compared to San Francisco - Summery. I frolicked along to school and arrived within a few minutes.

I arrived at the office and checked in , the clerk handed me my schedule and quickly ushered me off the the quad. "Socialize a bit deary, it's the first day, meaning free first period," she winked at me as I walked out. Looking around the quad area, I timidly entered and felt eyes protruding in my back. A guy in a football jersey with blonde hair ran up to me. "Hey there, you're new here aren't you?" he asked. 

A bit tacken aback, I managed to form a smile and talk to him. His name was Jake, he was planning on becoming the quarterback of the football team this year. He told me all about his past winnings the year before, and the conversation seemed to drone on. Then I suddenly felt something crash into my back. "OUCH" I felt myself yell out. Jake frowned and grabbed the football from off the floor. 

"I told you to go long man!!" I heard his friend yell as he ran up to us. "Why hello there," He cooed while looking me up and down. "Why haven't you introduced us?" he said nudging Jake with his elbow. Jake sighed and said "This is Aaron. The bench boy of the team, " he snickered while looking at him. Aaron dived to playfully punch him and they began running around after each other around the quad. 

I giggled and heard the bell ring. Grabbing the crumbled schedule paper from my Jacket's pocket, I looked down to see what first period was. English Literature. I smiled, at least I would be starting off this new day with my favorite subject. Arriving a bit late to class, only seats in the front seemed to remain. I took a seat across the teacher's desk and looked around. Everyone was laughing and yelling, and I could've sworn I saw a paper airplane jettisoned from the top corn of the room. 

"Quiet down everyone," I heard the teacher at the blackboard remark. His back was turned and he was scribbling his name up on the board with one hand, and holding a cup of coffee in the other. Mr. Asrian. A girl behind me yelled out "How old are you?" Mr. Asrian chuckled and told her he was twenty-two. Looking back at the girl, I noticed Jake was sitting next to her. "Isn't that a bit young??" he retorted while smiling and waving at me. I felt a bit more comfortable in my seat after that.

That's when I turned around..Mr. Asrian turned around too at that exact moment. Pre-occupied with the ornate cup of coffee in his hand, I was brought back to reality when I heard him choke on his cup of coffee. I looked up and saw him staring right at me. Oh no, This can't be. My eyes widened as I stared at him..It was Max..Max was Mr.Asrian.. "Shit" I let out under my breath.