Forty One- Uninvited

"I said speed, Elliot, SPEED!"

We were already flying down the highway, but it wasn't fast enough.  I checked my phone again.

10:45.

"If he goes any faster we're going to be transported into another dimension," Matt said from the backseat, but it was obvious he was just as worried about the time as I was.

Another look at my phone.  10:46.

The blue lights that lit up Heathrow came into view.  We were close.

But not close enough.

"Elliot," I said.  "Step on it."

"I can't exactly go much faster, Em," he said.  

My fists were clenched and my fingernails were digging into my palms.  I was sweating and my heart was beating into my throat.

I had to make it.  

It took Elliot five minutes to get to the front gate (a trip that should have taken him ten) and I kissed him on the cheek before flying out of the car as fast as I could.

"Em!  Passport!"

I ran back to the car and took the passport from his outstretched hand, realizing with overwhelming relief that forgetting that would have prevented me from getting to Alex.  It was a miracle Elliot had even thought to grab it.  But I think he knew that I would be going to the airport the moment I called.  Best friends just know.

"Now go fuck up that wedding!" Matt hollered from the backseat.  I laughed, despite the crippling fear I had that I wasn't going to make it.

But I had to make it.

I took off running again and barged through the doors.  Luke had texted me the gate, thank god, and so I sprinted as fast as I could toward it.  Security let me pass easily without any luggage, though I'm sure I looked like an absolute fucking lunatic.

I checked my phone and I pushed and shoved around people, frantically trying to find my gate.

10:53.

Shit.

I finally spotted it and picked up my speed.  There was a cluster of people standing near the boarding entrance that I nearly crashed into as I came to a stop.  I was breathing hard and sweating and looking around for Luke's sound guy.  How was I supposed to know who he was?  

"Um.  I'm guessing you're Emilia?"

I turned to see a big man standing behind me, looking down at me with an expression I couldn't read.

"Yeah," I said breathlessly.  "That's me."

"I think this belongs to you."  

He held out a single ticket and suddenly I felt like all the weight in the world had been lifted off my shoulders.

I'd made it.

I took the ticket and immediately pulled him in for a hug.  It was probably weird considering this guy was a complete stranger, but I couldn't help it.  I was so overcome with emotion that I had to take it out on somebody.

I pulled back and took off toward the entrance, thanking him a million times over.  

"Don't worry about it," he said, smiling.  "I'll catch the next flight.  Good luck."

I thanked him again.  I was definitley going to need it.

I was the only person on the plane without luggage, and thankfully I got a window seat.  I was jittery while we waited for takeoff, checking my phone every five seconds for any signs of life from Alex.