Chapter 3

Nelson was sitting at his paper-covered desk, reading through the contents of the folder when there was a soft knock at the door. He narrowed his eyes, deepening the creases in his forehead.

"Yes. Who is it?" he snapped irritably. His head was starting to ache again. He hadn't thought that there would be so much tediously old-fashioned language with ridiculous abbreviations to read through. He couldn't think what the people alive in the earlier centuries of the two thousands were thinking.

He had undone his top buttons hours ago and sweat was pouring off his forehead. His blazer lay sprawled on the floor where he had thrown it an hour ago and his window was wide open. His stress was almost tangible in the air.

The door opened slowly. Hesitantly. "Sir, the Underleaders are here for your meeting. It is ten past three," Bertie stammered. "They are waiting for you. I thought that you must have lost track of the time. "His eyes grew wide when he saw the unorganised mess on his employer's desk and his creased face as he struggled with the large haphazard pile of papers in front of him. "And seeing all those papers I think I must be right."

"Thank you, Bertie. I did lose track of the time. I'll head to the Meeting Hall immediately." He stumbled to his feet.

"Would you like me to organise your desk while you are away? I can at least put all those papers into a neat pile. Wouldn't that make it a bit easier for you to get your work done?"

"No thank you, Bertie. I will be taking all this with me. It is needed for our meeting. I just needed to read through it," he said as he wiped his forehead and yanked on his blazer. He knew that he had to appear composed in front of his Underleaders. It wouldn't do for someone with his power to appear stressed and unsure.

Nelson scooped the papers up into his arms in hurried out of his room and down the passageway to the Meeting Hall. He hunched over the messy pile of papers to stop anything from falling on his way.

"Sir?" called Bertie.

"What is it now? I'm late! You know that. You told me so yourself. It's bad for me to be late. I'm an important man and people expect to be on time. I can't be any later than I already am," shouted back Nelson, pausing in mid-shuffle to look back.

"Good luck for your meeting. Don't stress too much. You've always sorted out our problems in the past and I know that you can do it again. The world believes in you. That's why you are the leader of the African continent. The world has faith in you so have a bit in yourself."

"Thank you, Bertie but I've really got to be going now. I appreciate it, but I'm already late. I am immensely grateful for your faith in me but you honestly have no idea how serious the whole situation is." Nelson paused, deep in thought. "You take an early afternoon off. Go spend some time with your boyfriend. Our meeting will be a long one. You'd have left anyway by the time we finally finish. We have many important things to discuss."

"Thank you, sir," said Bertie with a smile on his face. "I'll just lock up before I go."

"Thank you. You are the best assistant any president could ask for. Now, I've got to go." Nelson patted Better shoulder and turned away from him, pulling the papers towards his chest.

Nelson hurried down the passageway and entered the Meeting Hall filled with expectant faces at twenty past three.

"I'm sorry I'm late ladies and gentlemen. Let's get down to business, shall we?"