Chapter 9

Nelson stared nervously at the door in front of him before knocking cautiously. An excited screech filled the air and the door shot open.

"Good evening, mister president sir!" squealed a short girl with shoulder-length braids and a wide, toothy smile. "My name is Thando. It is an honour to meet you. Can I take your coat?"

Nelson smiled down at the girl. "Thank you, Thando. That would be very kind of you. It is very nice to meet you too."

"She's been practising ever since I told her you would be coming," said Jonan, joyous laughter in his warm brown eyes as he stood down the hall. He watched Thando struggle with the thick coat before she shut the door.

"Good evening, Jonan. I trust you are well?" Nelson glanced at him and then smiled at Thando who was trying to hang up his coat.

"Busy, but better than I've been in a long time. Thando has added so much light in my life. Would you like to come through? Supper should be out of the oven soon."

"Bertie told me you needed some vegetables. I managed to find some for you." Nelson held out the paper bag he had been carrying.

"Oh, thank you. That is brilliant. I couldn't find any anywhere." Jonan took the paper bag and glanced in it. He inhaled deeply, savouring thr earthy scent within.

"Bertie told me," said Nelson, his voice wavering slightly as he bent out of Thando's way as she barrelled down the narrow hall.

"I'm sure that you went to a lot of effort get this a lot, but why the shortage?" Jonan folded over the top of the packet again.

Nelson sighed deeply. "As I've said many times, we are living in a drought. Food is becoming increasingly difficult to produce, even with Moisture Catchers. Honestly, Ms Prestensance is the only reason we are still alive today. It is such a simple little device but it's all that has kept humanity going."

"Bertie said that you wanted to talk to me?" Jonan stepped to the side to make room for Thando who was running back towards Nelson

"I do. We can talk later. After we have eaten."

Bertie walked into the hall, being dragged along by Thando. "Good evening, sir. I trust you are well?" Bertie smiled at Nelson when Thando thrust him towards him.

"I am, thank you. Thando is just as delightful as you told me if not even more so. I trust that the inspection went well?"

"It went marvelously. Why don't we all move out of this narrow passageway? I don't know why we have all congregated here."

Thando skipped around the room, singing softly to herself as the three adults talked over glasses of wine until it was time to eat.

Thando smiled as she smashed food into her mouth. Nelson smiled, enjoying Joanan's food, which was as perfect as it always was.

Thando gave a loud yawn.

"I think it's time for bed now," said Bertie with a smile.

"But poppa, I'm not tired..." she moaned.

"It's getting late now," he continued.

"You need to go sleep," said Jonan, completing his boyfriend's thoughts.

"But dad..."

"I'll tell you a story if you go to bed now," said Jonan patiently.

"Fine dad..." said Thando hesitantly.

"I'll put her to bed. I'll be back down soon."

"Thanks, love," said Bertie kissing Jonan gently on his cheek which was black with stubble.

Jonan squeezed Bertie's hand before putting Thando on his shoulders and ducking through the doorway. Thando squealed in delight.

After they left, Nelson spoke. "Should I help you to wash the dishes?"

"That's not necessary. You are our guest. That would make me a bad host."

"No it wouldn't. I insist. I want to help you."

"Alright then. I'll wash. You can dry."