A World In Which There's A Little One

Daryl's knee bounced nervously as he sat in the cold waiting room. He felt as if he had been sitting in that chair for years, when in reality, it had only been a few hours. Daryl couldn't take it anymore. He rose to his full height, and started pacing the length of the room. His mind was racing with ten million different scenarios, all of which didn't involve a happy ending. He had always been known to jump to the worst conclusions. Normally when this happened, his wife would shake her head, smile up at him, and say, "You're an idiot, but you're my idiot." She was a bit preoccupied at the moment though.

When a small nurse walked into the room, Daryl froze in his tracks. "Mr. Cooper?" the nurse asked, looking around the room. Daryl scowled as the other man in the room stood up, and quickly followed the nurse out. Daryl cursed underneath his breath, and sat down in the uncomfortable chair. He started gnawing on his thumb nail, a nervous habit of his.

The same nurse scurried inside the waiting room. "Mr. Dixon?" Daryl jumped to his feet. The nurse smiled a small smile at the anxious man. "Follow me."

Now Daryl wasn't much for talking, but right now he couldn't seem to shut his mouth. "Is she okay? Did anything go wrong?"

The nurse cut off his constant stream of questions. "Why don't I just let you find out for yourself." It was then Daryl noticed they had stopped in front of a door. Daryl's heart started to pound even harder inside his chest, and his palms became moist with a thin layer of sweat.

He nodded ever so slightly. The nurse turned back towards the door, and took a step inside. "Mrs. Dixon, I brought him in."

Kathryn looked up from the little bundle that resided in her arms. Her smile grew when she saw her husband. She laughed lightly when she saw how nervous he looked. "Daryl, you look like you're about to throw up."

Daryl let out a breath he didn't know he had been holding, and he cautiously approached the bed. He pressed a kiss to his wife's forehead before realizing the little bundle in her arms was wrapped in a pink blanket. "We have a daughter?" he asked his voice breaking slightly.

Kathryn nodded, and got a little choked up as well. "Here," she said while maneuvering the little girl so her dad could hold her. Daryl glanced at Kathryn nervously. "It's okay," she assured with her green eyes sparkling.

Daryl cradled the small being against his chest, and a huge smile crossed his features. "She's so small."

His heart swelled with love. He didn't know anything about his daughter. He didn't know what her favorite color would be, or what kind of personality she'd have. He did know one thing for certain; he would love her with all his heart. Daryl looked back to Kathryn. She had tears in her eyes, and the biggest smile he had ever seen.

Kathryn had never been so happy in her entire life. She never thought that she would be able to have kids. She wasn't one to believe in miracles, but her daughter might just have changed her mind. She beamed at the two people she loved most in her life. "I love you, Daryl." Daryl looked up from his daughter, and over at his wife.

"I love you too, Kath," Daryl said using the nickname he had given her forever ago. He glanced down at his daughter. His daughter. He liked the sound of that. "I'm a dad," he added in disbelief. Daryl never thought he could love someone as much as he loved Kathryn, and his little girl. He pressed a kiss to his daughter's forehead. When he backed up, he met sparkling blue eyes. Daryl sucked in a sharp breath. Her eyes were the exact same shade as his. The little girl giggled, and Daryl smile grew even bigger. "Hi, sweetheart," he cooed.

Daryl sat back down next to Kathryn. He found the hospital chair to be much more comfortable now. Kathryn shifted so she was facing them. "Isn't she beautiful?" Kathryn asked wistfully.