A Steady Supply of Vodka and an Actual Family

Not caring where we were going, I headed to the bathroom to get ready. I changed out of the baggy outfit and replaced it with a pair of jeans and short-sleeved top from the wad of clothes Mickey threw at me. I put my hair up in a ponytail, brushed my teeth, and swiped on some mascara.

"Hurry the fuck up. We don't have all day," Mickey calls. Ignoring him, I leave the bathroom to grab my phone and jacket, following Mickey outside.

We walked on the sidewalk for a few minutes before I pulled a cigarette from my bag and put it between my lips. After digging in my purse I ask, "Do you have a light?" Before I can get the words out, he had already flicked the lighter open and lit the end of my cigarette.

"You were lucky this time. If he had any less to drink, he wouldn't have passed out. I made sure he had a steady supply of vodka just so he wouldn't try to kill any of us," he says as he rolls his eyes and put the lighter back in his pocket.

I smiled and squished Mickey's face. "I love you too, Mickey," I said laughing. He always looks out for me and knows how to make me laugh.

Mickey grabs my hand, throws it off his face, and shoves me off the sidewalk. "Do that again, and see where it gets you, asshat."

"And why the fuck did you bring a jacket? It's ninety fucking degrees," he says.

All I can do is laugh.

~

After walking for what seems like forever we come to a stop.

"We're here," he said. I snap out of my daze and realize where we were: the Gallagher house.

"Really? Again? You here to fuck your boyfriend?" I snicker. I love Ian to death and am so happy Mickey is with him. It gives me something else to tease Mickey about.

"Fuck off," he retorts, walking up the front steps. We go in without knocking.

~

We've known the Gallaghers all our lives. We both live on the South Side and I've gone to school with them for years. We're basically family. An actual family.