Caught In a Lie

Rihanna POV

I beam at Chris as he holds me in his arms.

    "I'm liking this romantic side of you Robyn. I can't wait for you to pay for MY dinner for once." Chris jests.

    I laugh exaggeratedly at his joke. I'm starting to feel bad that I'm about to humiliate this nigga in public, although he did hire a PI to find out... I don't know what exactly. I guess we're going to find out tonight. This whole fiasco gives me a legitimate reason to divorce Chris, but is it bad that I've wanted to divorce him ever since the honeymoon stage of our marriage was over?

Eh, oh well. It's for sure going to happen now.

I stand in front of my mirror and pull out my red lipstick. I carefully put it on as Chris watches me from the threshold.

"Listen Rob, I know things haven't been going that well between us..." No shit. Maybe all the alcohol has finally destroyed his frontal lobes. Wouldn't it be so much easier if he just acquired dementia, he forgot who I was, and I could run off, free, into the sunset?

"I'm gonna try and be better, Rob. I've gotta. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me, baby. I can't lose you. And soon, we're both going to have a lot of time to devote to fixing this relationship. We're going to be together all the time." Chris says and kisses my cheek.

PFFTTTT is that a threat?? That sounds like an alternate reality where I'm surrounded by misery. I'd rather get trapped in the Upside Down than spend all my time trying to fix this busted marriage. It's not worth fixing.

I put on my best fake smile and lightly push him off of me. "I've got to get ready babe."

30 Minutes Later

Chris is sitting in the passenger seat of MY car holding MY hand captive in his. At the next red light I connect my phone to the aux and start playing "Over" by Syd ft. 6LACK.

Is it safe to say it's over?

I think it's safe to say it's over

Won't call this a waste of time

But I can only speak for myself

Lately it's been crossing my mind

I'm moving on, you're moving on, it won't be long

"Babe, why are you playing this depressing shit? Let's play something that fits the mood." Chris says, laughing. He puts on an indistinct trap song.

Can this nigga take a hint? MY GAWD.

A little bit later we arrive at the restaurant. The waiter leads us to a private room in the back. It's dimly lit with candles shining in the center of a rose petal covered table. A basket of wines sit there, waiting for us to crack em open.

I check my watch. Any minute now.

"Bae, this room is really nice, but I'm supposed to be the one booking fancy restaurant reservations. Stay in your lane, woman." He says jokingly.

"Mmm you don't seem to have that same energy when it's time to pay the bills huh." I say under my breath.

"What?"

"Oh nothing." I say and laugh gently.

We sit down and make small talk for a few minutes, until my phone lights up with a text. I check it briefly and put it back down.

It's go time.

"Actually Chris, I did bring you here for a specific reason."

"What's that ma?"