The Foreigners (III)

Luc rowed the boat as quietly as he could to the small beach near the base of the new segment of the dock that was being constructed. His stomach growled loudly, earning him a disapproving glare from Captain Haiden.

"River!" Luc hissed, shaking the girl by the arm.

River jolted awake and struck him across the face. "Gentlemen don't wake their ladies like that," River whispered angrily.

Killer barked happily in response, as energetic as usual.

"Don't make me put that dog down!" Captain Haiden growled to Luc.

"Don't worry!" Luc whispered back. "They're just building an extension of the dock! They won't care if we walk on it!"

Captain Haiden glanced around and wet his lips. "Let's go."

"I'm not going anywhere!" Luc whispered. "This is your business, not mine!"

Captain Haiden raised a fist. Luc gulped and followed him off of the beach into the tall reeds. Luc had no idea why they walked into the reeds because they ended up making enough of a ruckus to probably wake the whole town, especially with Killer nipping at everything that came close enough to his mouth.

"A flawless entry," Captain Haiden whispered as they exited the reeds. "No one noticed us."

Luc decided not to say that dock was a public procedure and that anyone would be allowed on it.

They crept forth towards the dock. There were several large piles of planks lying around as well as piles of tools and heaps of rope. There was absolutely nothing suspicious. Captain Haiden bent down and began pulling at the wooden panels.

"There's nothing here!" Luc hissed, glancing over his shoulder anxiously.

There was a loud crash as Killer bounded forward and head butted one of the supports of the dock that was sticking up into the air. The support, a thick piece of wood, wavered and fell.

"Wow doggy!" River said excitedly, patting Killer on the head. "When did you get so strong?"

Luc debated on whether or not he just throw himself to the monster of the seas.

"This pillar is not solid wood," said Captain Haiden, for some reason avoiding the fact that Killer had alerted everything within a hundred feet of them that they were there. "This is not the material that should act as a support foundation for a dock or a bridge."

"A bridge?" Luc asked. "Who said anything about a bridge?"

Captain Haiden ignored him and continued with his own searching.

"Ow!" River shouted, collapsing to the ground. She slapped angrily on the hollow boards of the dock, once again alerting everyone within a hundred feet.

"Shut up!" Luc hissed, shaking her by the shoulders. "What happened?"

"I stepped on something sharp," River said, eyes welling up with tears. "Am I...am I going to die?"

Luc took her bare foot in his hand and lifted it, fearing for the worst. The only thing there was a small splinter stuck near her heel. Luc rolled his eyes and grabbed the pesky thing between his fingers, yanking it out.

"Why does your friend not have sandals?" Captain Haiden whispered loudly.

Luc winced at the noise. "I mean...I never made a conscious effort to force her to wear them..."