«2»

"It's freaking September. Do we have to be going to school?"

Mark gave the faded green haired boy next to him a warm smile, letting go of his hand when they got to the bus stop closest to them.

Mark had been living there for months and had no idea the thing even passed by there. He was so blind to many things.

Mark shoved his hands into his jacket pockets. "Sadly, babe, we do. You know how it is."

"I knooooow. But that also means I've gotta go home today..."

Jack disappointedly crossed his arms, pouting. "I wanna stay with you longer..."

"Well, I can always come over to your's. Your parents seem to like me anyways."

"Yeah... Ma absolutely loves you. Pa... he seems to think you're really nice and hard working. Oh, you work to keep yourself afloat. Oh, he lives alone. Oh, he takes care of himself at nineteen!"

Mark grinned, swaying back and forth on his heels. "Does he know I was retained freshman year..?"

"Nope."

"Cool."

Mark slipped a hand from his jacket and laced it with the cold one Jack had exposed. Mark jerked them toward him at how frosted he was. "Damn, Jack! Jack be nimble, Jack be quick, Jack, I swear to god, you're gonna get sick."

Jack gave him an unamused glance, "Really. What was even the point in that?"

"Shush, Jack Frost. You're letting heat out of your body by talking. C'mere and hush."

Mark tugged him to the front of him, using a free hand to open the flap of his jacket and tuck Jack inside. Mark knew, from an angle, all that would be seen is the sea foam mess of hair sticking out of the collar.

"You're warm. I think I'll just stay in here."

Mark let go of him and enclosed him completely with his woolen interior jacket. "Sorry, but the prison bus has arrived."

Jack groaned, standing on his tip-toes to see the old white bus slumping toward them. Jack groaned again, leaning back more into Mark.

"I don't wanna go... please don't make me. My parents'll never know."

"Sorry, sweetheart, but if I'm going you're going."

Mark pushed him out and on to the steps of the bus entrance. "Wait on me to get a seat this time."

Mark knew he should always go first. He should always pick the empty seat. He always chose the empty one in the far right back no one ever got in for some reason. Some kids liked to say it was cursed; maybe to scare the new kids. No one knew. But if it was cursed, Jack was defiantly the best curse ever.

However, Mark was absolutely right. He should always sit first. Why?

Because Jack grabbed his arm as a pillow and snuggled into his sides, falling asleep until they arrived at school.

And Mark couldn't help but smile the entire ride.