11

Albany

I stood in front of the school where it all started– Sam and I. I haven't stepped foot on its soil since I graduated and it feels good to be back. It was Sunday so no one was at the school, only a few janitors.

Sam started walking to the main doors, leaving me in my thoughts.

"Sam? What are you doing?" I yelled in a whisper, following him.

He reached the red door and pulled it. It opened up and we waited in case an alarm sounded, but one didn't.

Sammy had a devilish smirk on his face as he stepped ahead, "Ladies first."

I walked in slowly and was once again flooded with memories. My hand played with the pendant around my neck as we walked the hallway, passing the main office and a few classrooms.

"I remember how petrified I was on the first day, this school looked huge." I admitted, seeing the same art paintings on the hallways that were there years prior.

"Let's go check out the lunch room." Sammy insisted, grabbing my hand and pulling me forward.

He let out a breath as we went inside of the cafeteria, we stopped right in the middle.

"There it is." Sam mumbled, I looked at him with confusion.

"That's the table me, the Jacks, and Vince sat at for four years. That was our table. So many stories, beats, and roasts happened at the very table. God, sometimes I really do miss highshool." He sighed, taking a seat at the table. The same seat he sat in everyday.

I took out my phone and snapped a picture so we'd be able to look back on it.

"The gym?" I suggested and he smiled instantly, nodding.

We headed to the gym and walked in, our steps echoed inside. Of course it was still the same way we had left it. He stood in the center on the WHS Warriors logo, staring at the basketball net. I did a 360, looking at the empty bleachers remembering how packed they once were.

"I asked you to prom in this very spot, remember?" Sam brought up.

I nodded, thinking about his cheesy promposal that had to do with basketball.

"Only if Gilinsky and Johnson were here right now, oh man that would be insane. The three of us... we ran this school. I miss it so much, like crazy. Damn, I'd do anything to shoot right now." He sighed, and an idea popped into my head.

I walked over to the closet where all the gym equipment was and opened it up, they really need to put locks on these doors. I picked up a basketball and dribbled it down the court to where Sammy was. I shot the ball into the basket and it rolled to his feet.

Sam seemed like a kid in a candy store— happy as fuck. He shot multiple baskets and lay-ups. For his last shot, he stood on the foul line and shot the ball. It balanced on the rim of the hoop before falling in.

"And the crowd goes wild as the Warriors take home the championship! Ahhhh!" I said loudly, immitating the sound of a crowd.

Sam laughed and scooped me up, twirling us around. He looked around before looking back at me, "This is where we first kissed."

I bit my lip and smiled, "You had just scored the final point in the championship, you just won the whole game."

He smiled with me and I couldn't stop myself from kissing him. It felt so right in this moment, where we were with no one around us.