Chapter Seven

Candace Miller

I had just pushed Vinny off of the deck. Oh my God. I held my hands up to my face to hide that I was laughing and said, "Vinny, I'm so sorry! Are you okay?"

  The glass doors opened and the guys ran out, laughing hard.

 "I'm grand," Vin groaned, standing from the bushes. I felt bad so I hopped down the stairs and tackled him with a hug. He caught me in the air and hugged me back, starting to laugh.

  "I'm so sorry!" I cried, hugging his neck tightly.

 "It's okay, I'm fine." He laughed. Madison was on the ground, laughing his head off. Mikey and Jason were clutching the railing of the deck, Nick hugging his knees, Louis banging on the ground, all laughing as if it were the funniest thing in the world.

  "I did not mean to do that, Vinny," I chuckled.

 "Neither did I," He joked, making me laugh all over again. The others were starting to calm down finally, and Vinny adjusted his hold on me.

  If we weren't such close friends, it would be weird. Because my arms were around his neck, and his hands were interlocked below my butt. It was still an awkard position for us, though.

Madison was standing again, and Louis was calmed down a bit. Mikey and Jase were still clutching their sides. Nick was kneeling on the ground but seemed better. 

"I can't stop apologizing. I am so sorry!" I said again to Vinny, ruffling his mohawk.

 "It's cool, I forgive you," Vinny laughed again, then kissed my neck. His lips were soft and the kiss was slow, lingering.

  I could feel the ghost of his lips against my skin as everyone froze, including Vin himself. Slowly, I slid from his arms, my feet hitting the ground.

  I looked into his deep brown eyes, he bit his lip.

 "What just happened?" Louis asked.

 "Yeah, what did just happen?" Mikey asked, jumping onto the grass. I dropped my arms back to my sides and we stepped away from each other.

  "I'm sorry, Candace, I just-" Vinny started to apologize.

 "Shh. No, it's fine." I swallowed and looked at everyone. Nick's mouth was hanging open, and Louis looked so confused. Jason was watching Mikey warily. Madison didn't look too happy, and I don't blame Jase for being wary.

  Because Mikey looked ready to kill.

 "Mikey," I said cautiously.

 "Candace!" Mrs. Alamia shouted out the door to the deck. "You have a phone call!" I glanced at Vinny before grabbing Mikey's hand and pulling him with me to the deck.

  "Thanks, Mrs. A," I said and answered the call. I ignored the fact that I was still holding Mikey's hand and that it was making my heart thud.

  "Hello?" I asked.

 "Candace?" It was my mom.

 "Hey mom!"

  "Hey, sweetie," She didn't sound like her normal happy self.

 "What's wrong?"

  "Honey... We had a car reck last night and... and you're father got the worst end of it."

 "Wh-what? Are you okay? Is he?" My voice shook with every word, and Mikey noticed. He moved closer so he could overhear the phone call.

 "No, honey. He's in a coma." Mom's voice broke and I could hear her sob. The worst thing was, I couldn't do a thing about it.