Careless (Alya Knows)

“We need to talk.”

Adrien didn’t know three words could sound so terrifying, even coming from the avid Ladyblog reporter. He slowly turned, knowing not even a transformationed getaway would help him now. Plagg was nowhere to be seen, which he was grateful for, even if Alya was aware of his identity and the classroom was completely empty. He was also grateful that Alya had sent her best friend away, despite the curious look both Marinette and Nino had sent their way before he led the bluenette out.

“Uh, sure. What about?”

Alya narrowed her dark eyes and crossed her arms. Adrien couldn’t help but gulp at her intense stare.

“Don’t play dumb with me, cat-boy.”

“I-I…” He tried to speak, but no words were able to come out. He probably looked like a fish out of water as he opened and shut his mouth.

Alya sighed and reached forward to grip his wrist. Before he could protest, he dragged him from the classroom and down the school steps. She pushed him into the alley next to the building and stood with her legs spread. He didn’t need a verbal warning. She wasn’t leaving, and neither was he, until they talked.

“You’re Chat Noir.” She didn’t ask, and he knew she didn’t have to. It was more of an accusation than a question, anyway.

“Yes?”

Alya furrowed her brow in thought. It was some time before she spoke again, and Adrien found himself cradling his bag to his chest, protectively as he waited.

“I knew it!”

“Look, I’m sor- wait, what?” He asked when her words caught up with him.

She smirked, more amused than angry. “I’ve had my suspicions for quite some time, but both Marinette and Nino shrugged the idea off without a second thought. I figured I was just seeing things. Until I saw you detransform yesterday, that is.”

Adrien frowned. He usually tried to use empty rooms or subway tunnels, but his miraculous was a second away from wearing off, so he’d ducked behind a pillar. Little did he know that the brunette reporter happened to be visiting the bookshop across the street and saw the whole thing. Until he heard the snap of her phone camera going off. He’d stood like a deer in the headlights before summoning enough common sense to run home.

“You’re not going to tell anyone, right?” He pursed his lips, worried. If his lady found out that he’d been so careless…. She’d never trust him with her secret.

“I was. I really did think about posting it. But I wouldn’t do that to my friends, no matter how much fame I’d get for unmasking Paris’ black cat,” she reassured with a smile.

“Thank you, Alya."

“No problem, Adrien. But you really should be more careful about where you change back.” She winked.

“I’ll uh- I’ll keep that in mind.” He grinned as she stepped back to let him leave.

It was like a huge weight was lifted from his shoulders. He hated keeping secrets, but he felt that maybe, he wouldn’t have to hold the burden by himself. Knowing that somebody knew and wouldn’t tell was a great blessing. It was something he wished his lady could feel. And who knew? Maybe that night would be the night she revealed herself to him. Stranger things had happened.