22

"Hello?"

"Hey..."

"Oh, Isaac? What-where are you calling from?"

"My mum's phone. Um...I'm sorry but I can't...we can't make it to the dinner today."

"But....Isaac...why?"

"She has stuff to do."

"But-"

"I'm sorry, Natalie. I am. And not just about the dinner."

"It's just....I actually don't want to have this conversation. Whatever. If you can't make it, you can't."

"I'm so sorry. I really am. She has stuff to do. I'm not blowing you off."

"Fine."

"Natalie. Please, understand. I just can't."

"I'm not talking about the dinner. It's fine if you can't make it."

"I know. I can't tell you."

"Okay. Enough with this bullshit. I swear to god. You used me."

"I didn't use you! I...it's just...it happened. And.."

"Then the next day you come to school looking like a train wreck. What happened overnight? I hug you, I comfort you and I console you and all you tell me is that you and Taylor broke up. Who is this Taylor? Why won't you tell me anything?"

"Wait a second. Stop making yourself look like the victim. You have no idea what I'm going through. And I really don't think I'm bound to tell you everything."

"Lifting your mood that day on the curb, then the fights and the tantrums and the bad days in school all three weeks and then this thing today; that means nothing to you?"

"I...look. Stop blaming me. It's not like I know everything about you either. I've heard the rumours."

"Rumours? Bloody rumours. Did you care to ask? Did you care to talk? You want to know? Fine then. George was my boyfriend for a long time. He broke up with me before school started because he saw me kissing Marcus. Which is a lie. I would never kiss Marcus because he's like a brother to me. Self-centered George never gave me time anyways and then the nasty insults and fights broke out and now we're both single."

"Okay. Wow. I didn't know."

"I know. So I told you."

"You think it's easy. I can't tell you certain things. It's too hard and too...scary. Just because you told me something trivial-"

"So you think it's trivial? Well then, consider me trivial as well."

"No! I didn't mean it that way. God, you're making this so hard."

"I'm making this hard? Imagine being in my place. Imagine your very good friend not telling you anything. Imagine how they must feel to be treated like a last resort."

"You're not my last resort."

"Look, Isaac. Whatever. I don't want to talk to you."

"I don't know why you're making such a big deal."

*beep*

"I didn't say anything wrong, did I Bradley?"

"You sure did."