Why She Left

SHANNON’S POINT OF VIEW

After an hour of sitting down in this cold car, we’ve finally arrived in my home sweet home. When my father and I got out, Sonia welcomed us although I ignored her. I directly went inside and got a cola.

“Shannon, don’t drink that! That’s for your dad.”

I stopped at my tracks and just held the cola. My father appeared at the doorway and said, “She can have it.”

I smiled and he smiled as well.

“Thanks, daddy.”

Then, I made my way upstairs. I was about to get inside my room when I heard my father and Sonia arguing.

“Carter!” Sonia shouted.

“What?”

“You shouldn’t spoil her that much! That’s why she doesn’t respect me.”

“And why is that?”

“It’s because you keep ignoring her attitude, Carter!”

“Nothing’s wrong with my daughter, Sonia!”

“Of course something’s wrong with her! She was raised by a person like Sarah who’s lazy and only jokes around serious matters and…”

Before she can even continue, something fell like a flower vase or something.

“No one talks about Sarah that way!”

“Why? Do you really think you can bring her back if you defend her from me?”

Then, I heard a slap.

“Shut your mouth or I’ll shut it for you!”

There was silence after that.

I tiptoed towards my room and closed the door behind me. Then, I remembered the note little Sarah left on the floor before she disappeared. It was still in my pocket.

~Sonia~

I pinned the note on the corkboard.

~What is it about Sonia, mom?~

There was a knock on my door.

When I opened it, my father was there.

“Hey, dad!”

“Hey! Are you busy?”

“No. I was just about to go down and get my things from the car.”

“Well then, I’ll help you.”

“Okay.”

Then, we went downstairs. Sonia was nowhere to be found. My father helped me with my things.

As soon as we were finished, we had our dinner.

“Thanks, dad.”

“For what, kid?”

“Thanks for always helping me out.”

He smiled and continued with his meal.

When I was finished, I placed my plate on the sink. I was about to wash them up when Sonia appeared.

“Leave them. I’ll do the dishes.”

“But this is my …”

Before I could even continue, she looked at me.Her eyes were red from crying. Her nose was red too. But one thing caught my attention. There was a bruise on her right cheek. Not only that; there was a little amount of blood.