Torn Between Best Friends

After what seemed like thirty minutes of discussion, I finished my story with a sigh. Suddenly, the door opened. We all stood up just to find Alexander shocked.

“Uh … Was I interrupting something?” he asked.

The three of us looked at each other. Tammy looked back at her brother and shook her head.

Craig, on the other hand, walked towards Alexander like he was about to hug the guy.

“Dude, you’re home early.”

Alexander cleared his throat and explained, “I didn’t have much to do in school.”

Craig placed his hand on Alexander’s shoulder and told him that they needed to go to the grocery store.

“What? But the fridge’s full.”

Craig was behind Alexander. His eyes widened, but it’s a good thing Alex didn’t see it. No matter what Alexander says, Craig had an excuse for them to go to the grocery store.

“Fine,” Alexander said finally.

Tammy and I smiled as the boys left us. When we couldn’t hear the car in the garage anymore, we both laughed.

“That was close,” Tammy said.

I sat back down and asked, “Why didn’t you want him to know what we were up to?”

Tammy sat across me and answered, “We were supposed to prepare a surprise party for him. If I didn’t know him better, he’d ask why you were there. That would totally ruin the surprise.”

I grinned and stood up.

“Then, let’s get started?”

She nodded.

ALEXANDER’S POINT OF VIEW

~Do some grocery shopping, huh? What is going through this moron’s head anyway? And why was Shannon in my house? I felt a hint of happiness back there, but whenever I remember what happened earlier in the campus, my heart aches.~

“What do you need to buy in the grocery store anyway?”

Craig who was looking out the window replied, “Just some chocolates and maybe Pringles.”

My eyebrows met.

~He wanted me to go to the grocery store with him just to buy some chocolates and Pringles?~

I was about to take a U-turn when he added …

“Shannon loves chocolates and Pringles.”

I admit I was surprised.

~How’d he know that about Shannon?~

When we reached the store, Craig got out and grabbed a cart. I just followed him around. I noticed him get five bars of chocolate milk bars and another five packs of Pringles.

I laughed. He noticed and stopped at his tracks.

He turned to me and asked, “You got a problem with what Shannon wants?”

I cleared my throat.

“Craig, you don’t need to please someone you just met with chocolates and Pringles.”

Then, I laughed once more.

“For your information, Mr Johnson, Shannon and I have this thing.”

I chuckled.

“Talking for an hour with a girl you just met doesn’t mean you have a thing with one another.”