Chapter 3

Art has always been my strong point. I loved drawing and sketching and painting anything from people to trees to creating my own comic book characters. Most of my school supplies and schoolwork was covered in doodles that I had done in class.

Mr. Quinn’s class was one of my favorites. Don’t get me wrong. I hate school. I just like art.

I sat in my usual seat near the windows on the far side of the classroom, next to my friend, Dallon, who greeted me with his usual friendly nod.

I nodded back.

Dallon was the most outgoing out of our small clan. He was the one who always hosted the parties and who always took risks. Hanging out with Dallon was always a blast. You never knew what was going to happen. You never knew if you were going to live to see the next day. Sometimes, we would even laugh so hard we thought we would run out of oxygen and die.

“Now, class,” Mr. Quinn greeted us after the strain of the bell that marked the beginning of the class period. I set my coffee down as he continued to speak. “Today, I’d like each of you to make your own interpretation of our school. Express what this school truly is. Tell us a story, or a secret. Make your artwork express a message. You may use any medium you would like,” He instructed as he gestured to the table at the front of the room that had various art supplies laid out on it.

I reached into my backpack and pulled out my sketchbook and some pencils.

Time to draw this hellhole the way I actually see it.

I made the first pencil mark. A vanishing point. In the center of the top of the paper. From there I drew two straight lines to form a triangular looking shape.

What next. Demons. Demons are next.

I moved my pencil outside of the triangular shape and let it linger in the air over the page before pulling it away.

They should be coming out of the doors and the lockers.

I drew a rhombus shape that would look like a door. I did some shading to make it look a bit more realistic. I drew a frame around it to show that the door was cracked open a bit and to reveal the demons that were lurking inside.

I drew a circle for the head.

No. They shouldn’t be circular. They should all be angular. And they should all be the same.

I erased the circle and drew a seed shape for the head, and nodded in satisfaction.

“So, Gee,” Dallon said. I snapped my attention up from my sketch and turned to look at him. He continued. “I’m thinking about having a small party on friday. Wanna come?”

Small party, my ass. To you, small party means we don’t wake up in the street.

“Sure,” I smiled.

Dallon nodded and returned to his work, as did I.

Now, what am I going to do for their bodies.

I began to sketch a distorted body that looked to be watching the viewer. I shaded it black like a shadow and let the wide eyes stay white, as to never stop watching you. Judging you.

I drew more and more of those bodies in the hallway before shading in the gray, slate tiles that were stepped on throughout the day by every student of the school. I drew a single light that cast a circular glow on the ground and casting shadows all around it. I then added more details. I made the paint on the walls peel in various places and all the posters on the walls advertising school activities were all torn, distorted and drawn on.