Chapter 5

I got to Mr. Fisher's class right on time. The students were sitting on the desks chatting about stupid things like their video games and the game on tv last night. I walked over to my seat and plopped my books on the smooth, tan surface. Just as the bell rang for class to start, Mr. Fisher rose from his swivel chair behind his desk and walked to the board.

"Okay, class. Today we welcome a new face to our science class. I want you guys to make him feel as comfortable as possible in this building. He's going to come in this room soon, so when he comes remember to help him adjust by being welcoming and friendly."

New kid? Who?

Just a few minutes after Mr. Fisher had started the lesson for the day, a short boy with black, unruly hair walked nervously into the room. He looked around at all the students and then at Mr. Fisher. I saw that his hands were burried in the black sleeves of his Black Flag sweatshirt and his jeans had holes in the knees. He carried his books against his chest as if he were araid of losing them.

"Class," Mr. Fisher began, putting his lesson on pause. "This is our new student, Frank."

Frank waved feverishly to she class. He looked like he was intimidated by the students. He was wuite small. They all probably towered over him like giants to an elf.

The new student looked for a place to sit until his eyes fell on the empty desk beside me. He shuffled converse clad feet over and asked calmly. "May I sit?" I nodded the warmest nod that I could muster and attempet a friendly smile. He smiled back. "I'm Frank," he said, setting his books down underneath the desk.

"I'm Gerard. Where are you from?"

"Well," he began to speak in a soft but understandable whisper, seeing as Mr. Fisher was continuing with his lesson once again. "I was home schooled with my mom before. I don't get out that much, but I'm from around here."

I nodded. "I like your sweatshirt," I mumbled as Frank opened a notebook and pulled out a pen.

"Thanks. I like yours too."

"You have a great music taste," I said as I turned my attention back to my note taking.

"Thanks. You seem pretty chill, Gerard. I like you."

I smiled a half hearted grin and continued to learn shit that was never going to ever come in handy in my life from the most boring, most evil teacher ever.

He might as well be satan himself. I'll bet he eats puppies.

Wait...

That's kind of far fetched.

I don't think he eats puppies.

Maybe he just bites the heads off flowers.

______________________________________________________________________________

By the end of class I had an entire page in my notebook full of science notes, which was surrounded by doodles of comic book characters and random things that popped into my head while Mr. Fisher went on and on and on. I noticed Frank looking at my drawings.